Thread: Windows 2000

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 2000

When I startup Win2K, the wave file does not play in its entirety. I do not use Microsoft startup file. I do not reboot my system often so it is not really a continuing annoyance. However, I would like to correct it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows 2000

Go to Control PanelSounds and Multimedia and scroll down to Start Windows (just above Net Meeting). Replace your present sound file with another you have reason to believe is unbroken. ok out and re-boot. Do you still get curtailed play?

New Lounger
    Thanks

MerC:

Thanks for responding. I have changed wave files with the same results. The wave files tested have been moved to other systems and play fine. They have been erased and reloaded. Testing files in "sounds and multimedia properties" play fine, however only a few bars play at startup. (???)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It's possible that you have another sound file that is interrupting the startup sound. Although it may be a long way around, try this:

Save your current sound scheme.
    Tell Windows 'no sounds.'
    Enable only a startup sound.
    Start the PC and see if it plays through to the end.

If it does, then you know that some other application is interfering with it at startup. I have experienced similar scenarios where a WAV file will be interupted by another one, even if the sound card has 50 billion voices. OK, not that many, but enough! Let's see how that works.
    -Mark

Thanks

As an addendum to that, I recall an instance of 'ansa-phone' software causing something like this when it booted up - if my memory serves me right it was an internal modem physically wired to the sound card.
    Personally, I'd be happy for anything to interupt the 'default' Windows logon wav..... [img]/w3timages/icons/nuts.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

so would i - so i did - i just deleted it.

I had to fly overnight and wanted to work and when i'd boot the $#@% was so loud, even with the sound turned low. (hubby had the head phones i brought to use with the laptop) it was a goner real fast.