Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2000 TOC Problem (Word 2000)

Please help!! I have just spent a long time working on a template for my work colleagues only to be hit by a major snag.

The design of the template requires that Heading 1s be placed in the Header. Then a Table of Contents needs to be generated from these Heading 1s (and Heading 2s that will be placed in the main body of the document).

However, on using the Insert, Index and Tables feature, Word says it cannot find any Heading 1s! It's as if it does not recognise Heading styles placed in the header.

Has anybody come across this problem before? And is there an easy workaround, other than me revamping the template?

Thanks, Laurie

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2000 TOC Problem (Word 2000)

Hi laurencewillis.

I don't have a solution for you, unfortunately--the TOC process looks for instances of Headings on each page. If you have a heading in the Header, it would appear on every page. Since TOC is looking for each instance of the Heading in order to insert it into the table, it wouldn't look in the Header, then, because the Header isn't part of the body of the document.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining that well. I imagine you might be able to code something different, but I would be very surprised if there is an easy way to manipulate the standard TOC insertion and have it search through the headers and footers of your document.

pumpkin

Thanks

Re: Word 2000 TOC Problem (Word 2000)

Can you duplicate the Heading in the document? You can replicate the "current" Heading 1 from the body of the document to the header using a STYLEREF field.

If the heading cannot be duplicated in the body, you still can use the above technique by redefining your Heading 1 style to be white font color and only 1 point tall, and this way have only the most inconspicuous effect on the body of the document. (Will be hard to edit, though!)

Wish I knew of a better workaround.