3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unwanted log on screen

Hi

I have XP home edition on one PC, and Win98 on the other. They're networked through an ADSL hub.

The guy who set everything up said there has to be two user names on the XP PC for the 98 PC to be able to network to it, and so he set them up.

My problem is, how do I stop the "Log on to Windows screen" from appearing on the XP PC? We always log into it using UserName1, and have no need for passwords. (UserName2 is just there to make the network work for the other PC.)

I've tried setting the password to null, but this doesn't stop the logon screen appearing. (It did on the 98 PC.)

PS: I have "Use the welcome screen" turned off in ControlPanel/UserAccounts/ChangeTheWayUsersLogOnOrOff.

Any ideas?
    Dale

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unwanted log on screen

So you are getting the standard logon box, correct? You need to set the system to auto-logon. The easiest way is to use TweakUI for Windows XP, which will make the registry changes you need. It's not available on Microsoft's website - the PowerToys have been pulled temporarily - so you can <A target="_blank" HREF=http://broge.com/Download/Utils/PowerToySetup.exe>grab the previous version here</A> if you want.

FYI, the reason it doesn't stop the logon screen from appearing as it did in Win98 is because of the design of Windows XP. Like 2000 and NT before it, you *must* log in before you can use it. 9x was very different in that regard.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unwanted log on screen

Thanks, Mark. Just what I wanted.
    Dale