3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Folder Tree Keeps Refreshing

Hi Folks,

My Windows Explorer occasionally feels the need to refresh the folder tree pane every three seconds or so. Each time it refreshes, the folders to be shown are read from the disk, so it takes a non-trivial amount of time, with respect to system performance. It seems to happen more frequently when I am opening a file from the folder whose contents are displayed.

There is nothing unusual (at least not obvious) running in the task manager - I have identified everything in the task manager as being normal and not recent (this phenomenon just started recently).

Any ideas? Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Folder Tree Keeps Refreshing

Jim,

I think what you are looking for can be found if you <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.compguystechweb.com/troubleshooting/windows/wintips/f5.html>follow this link</A>. You need to turn off the auto-update for Windows Explorer to stop this behavior.

After disabling this, you can quickly update the contents of the Explorer window in view by pressing F5. That puts control in your hands, instead of Windows.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'll try it. I never noticed this behavior before, maybe the number of folders on my desktop finally reached critical mass (about 30) to cross the just-noticeable-difference threshold.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The link says, 01 is OFF. My registry already had 01. In case the link had it backwards, I changed it to 00. The behavior did not change.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>this phenomenon just started recently<hr>
    Since it just started recently, think hard: what changed recently? The registry setting I noted is the only one that I am aware of that controls how Explorer refreshes.

However, if you upgraded Internet Explorer, or added other software, there is a distinct possibility that the cause lies there. The Active Desktop component can cause this (among other undesirable things).
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Mark

I thought of "what changed" before posting here, and since nothing unusual changed, I ran out of ideas. I thought maybe someone here had seen a similar case. I think I will just have IS come and re-image my HD.

Since this is Windows 95, isn't Active Desktop a non-issue?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Since this is Windows 95, isn't Active Desktop a non-issue?<hr>
    If the abomination known as the Internet Explorer Desktop Update was installed, it very definitely IS an issue! Make suer the Active Desktop is disabled - if you right click on the desktop and you see an option for it, it's installed. You don't want to view your desktop as a web page.

Newer versions of IE integrate so tightly with the existing shell that they will change the way that it acts. If you're in the mood for a little detective work, try downloading Regmon and Filemon from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sysinternals.com>Sysinternals</A>, and see what processes and what registry keys are being accessed. That should allow you to track down the offending application/process. Just freeze the monitor until you have an explorer window open, with nothing else running (and I mean NOTHING or you will have a screen full of stuff) and when the Explorer window refreshed, freeze the monitor and peek at what happened.
    -Mark