Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Post?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Lost Post?

Yesterday (unless I'm losing my marbles), I responded to a thread on Watermarks on the Excel lounge. I didn't see my posting listed today in the archive or on the thread. That was the 1st time I ever used the [pre] tags in a response. After hitting Sumbit, I did see my posting with the "warning bar" about detecting the [pre] tags and making sure my code was not wider than the bar. Since it wasn't, I was happy.

Today, I responded to an item on the VBA lounge with [pre] tags. Will have to wait to see if this is shown.

Was there something that needed to be done in response to the "warning bar"?

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost Post?

Well got my own answer - partyl.

I went back in the browser using the Back button. I saw that the item on the Back menu was Previewing Reply to... I went to the previous page (since the Previewing page expired). Hit Submit again. Saw the "warning bar" again. this time I scrolled down and saw that I had to hit Submit again.

This is very misleading. Since my use of the [pre] tags did not exceed the width of the bar, I thought there was nothing more for me to do. I don't think I saw in the Warning bar that I had to hit submit again and that this was only a preview.

So the question now is whether there's any way to resurrect the response to the Watermark question. It was quite lengthy and I really would not want to recreate it!

Thanks.

Fred

Thanks

Fred,
    I fear that unless you actually hit the Post button, your hard work has been lost.

I also fear you have hit on a little known problem - attempting to post a thread which includes PRE tags directly, in fact takes you to the Preview screen, without warning you that it has not been posted. I suspect that the majority of users habitually use Preview and have not come across this problem before.

I'd better tell the Wiz.....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem noted. Can't do anything about recovering the unposted post, but, the PRE preview text will include a warning in the near future.

FYI: Except for emergencies, changes to the Lounge are only made on Sunday's my time (UTC -5).
    <big><big><font color=blue>Ian</font color=blue></big></big>
    Admin

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ian,

Thks to you and Leif for the response. At least I caught the 2nd one this morning and was able to re-post it after previewing it.

Ian, I appreciate whatever fix you put in. Please make it VERY noticeable in the warning bar that you have to still click submit - what one is PREviewing is NOT posted until you click submit. In fact, if there's a way to make a msgbox jump out at you, that would be better. I fear that some people may not read that warning bar.

I would also ask if there are other items like this that are waiting to be discovered. If so, on some Sunday, can those be fixed also?

I'll repost the item to the Excel lounge albeit probably a bit shorter.

Fred

Thanks

Fred,
    Problems like you have brought attention to tend to be jumped on pretty quick, and you can expect this to be sorted before long. I am personally unaware of any other potential traps, but I believe general improvements are in the pipeline.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Yup, you have found the worst thing that has been done in the lounge. In addition to being a RPITA, if you don't hit post a second time, your post is lost. One more thing to look out for: If you attached a file to a message with pre tags, you have to attach it again in the preview or it will not be attached when the message is posted. I really wish Ian would yank this code that was put in to fix a problem that I think has now been fixed correctly another way.
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Ian: Are you going to put in warnings about all of the other problems with this code, like losing attachments if they are not reattached in the preview frame? But then if you add warnings for all of the problems, we will have to scroll for a week to find the submit button.

Why don't you just yank this code since it was to fix a problem that I think no longer exists.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Legare:

No I am not going to put in warnings all over the place. We have been looking at help and I have noted that it needs specific review for error cases. The code will never be fool proof. There will always be someone who wants to prove they are a better fool than you ever anticipated.

Yanking the code is not quite as simple as you think. The system is a)reasonably large (about 8.7MB of code) with a good part of that in library code, and b)tightly integrated with Perl, mySql, Apache, CSS and the impacts of various browser implementations.

Changes are done carefully and involve formal alpha testing by myself and beta testing by the Moderators. Even simple changes can sometimes bite you (In fact, the simple change for the PRE additional warning text did just that. A minor cleanup on the cosmetics caused a server error.)

Bottomline. The highest priority task is to keep things working. After that, comes emergency fixes, and after that "simple" changes which improve usability of the Lounge.

This does not preclude development of more significant changes but only as time and talent permit.

Sorry for venting (if I was), but, the Mods and I have had a busy week already stabilizing a new instance of the Development system and I have a *very* long list of Lounge related tasks for this weekend.

The Mods and I do pay attention to comments and problems in the Lounge. We just can not fix everything.
    <big><big><font color=blue>Ian</font color=blue></big></big>
    Admin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I just seemed to remember that it only took Eileen a day or two to implement this. I was hoping it would be much simpler to undo it since I think most of the reason it was implemented in the first place is no longer a problem (not positive of that since I never use flat mode).
    Legare Coleman

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Legare,
    Remember that Eileen was retired and did not have a full time job as Ian does. He is doing a great job.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I've read the response so far.

I've had this problem before. Since there is no way to retreive (or have emailed to one) a Backup copy of the text being previewed (would be nice to have the system store the latest previewed text in a user file to be emailed back after any sort of crash or problem) I've resorted to NotePad.EXE and the deskTop folder.

I'll crank up Notepad, compose the text and store it on DeskTop (where it will glare at me until I've posted it correctly).

Only then do I dial-up, enter the Lounge and copy/paste the text into a message.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chris,

Yep - your way of precomposing would work - for most cases.

There are times, like this one was, where I'm including several links. I want to be sure they're going to the right place. Maybe some other things I'd like to make sure of before the final posting. So I wish there was a way to purposely go into a Preview Mode where the post looks exactly like a final but isn't. Maybe just put in a blank pre tags to force the system to put you into Preview.

You might want to take a look at my posting on Watermarks on the Excel lounge, which is the one that was lost and I redid. I know you like a challenge.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree that Ian is doing a great job and did not mean to imply that he was not.
    Legare Coleman

Thanks

<hr>So I wish there was a way to purposely go into a Preview Mode where the post looks exactly like a final but isn't.<hr>
    Do you mean the Preview button doesn't work for you?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (16.2 KB, 0 views)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast