Thread: MBR problem

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MBR problem

I have W98se on C: drive. I just installed W2000 on a separate partition. All worked fine using the dual boot option via W2000, however I wanted to use Partition Magic's Boot Magic, so I disabled the W2000 dual boot, but I never could get the PM Boot Magic to boot to W2000 at all. Now, how do I get back into W2000 to turn W2000's dual boot back on since PM Boot Magic wouldn't work? Or better yet, I wonder why PM's Boot Magic wouldn't boot to W2000?

I tried to reinstall W2000, but it said that it couldn't run since it was already installed as an OS.

Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MBR problem

Is W2k on ntfs? If so, and If boot.ini is on c-drive, you can edit it to get back to dual boot.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm. Is that where you edit the dual boot option? In a boot.ini file? Didn't realize it was that easy.

I gave up and am now reformatting that W2000 drive to put W2000 back on it to use their dual boot.

I wonder why PM wouldn't boot to W2000??

--KZ

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

After reformatting the W2000 partition, it still thought that W2000 was installed somewhere on my machine.

I renamed the boot.ini and then it wouldn't boot at all! I got the boot.ini file back, but how do I REMOVE all instances of W2000 so I can start over now?

Lounger
    Thanks

I have no recent experience with PM Boot Magic, but an older verison I used did not recognize ntfs volumes. But whether your W2k partition is fat32 or ntfs, if you start your W2k install with the 4 setup diskettes from the W2k cd, you can force almost anything. Find a way to copy the 4 floppies, rename the boot.ini file and save it, then plop floppy 1 in and turn the power on, then plug in the W2k cd. You should get to a decision point in floppy 4 to choose the partition and format that you want. thereafter the install should reestablish the dual boot option. This about exhausts my experience with dual booting.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not using ntfs, but fat32. Anyway, I took your recommendation and used the four disks and that did the trick. Thanks! I did have to still edit the boot.ini file bec. W2000 didn't recognize another OS. Once I edited it, it booted to W98 too as an option. Still not sure why Bootmagic wouldn't boot to W2000. I'm using ver6.

I would like to know from someone...what files does W2000 change that makes the system think that it's got W2000 on it besides the boot.ini file? My other computer doesn't have any boot.ini file; so why does the other computer require it?

--KZ

Lounger
    Thanks

I do not know where the other sys files are in a dual boot. You might snoop around by running command prompt as follows: run>command>sfc to see the switches (options). Then perhaps it will spit out a list of system files. I have not done this, but it is there. Be careful, good luck

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I may not fully understand what you are asking, but if you want to know what happens when you install Win2000, it can be summed up like this:

The boot sector is overwritten and replced. Any previous boot information, such as Windows 9x, Linux, etc, are then stored in small files on the hard drive's root. BOOTSECT.DOS is what is used when Windows 9x is selected as the OS (I don't know what Linux and variants use).

There are a few files placed in the root of the boot drive as well. Chief among these is NTLDR, which determines what OS has been selected and manages the boot process. You will also have an NTDETECT.COM file, which if memory serves is there to detect base hardware that is needed for booting. http://=http://www.winntmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?IssueID=62&ArticleID=3952]This article is a bit dated but most of it still applies, if you are interested in further reading on the topic.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Very helpful information. Thanks

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    ...but do not, under any circumstances, try to edit the NTLDR file. If you do, you corrupt it.
    Editing Boot.ini ought to be straightforward, as you can do it from XP, but it isn't. Some of the options depend a particular MBR. I recently had a faulty boot.ini (a broken Default kept appearing in the start-up menu). It took an over the top install of XP to cure it.

Rgds