Lounger
    Thanks

IE5.1 slow to close (IE5.00.3314.2101IC)

After clicking to close the browser window, my next click takes 15 secs to open the new destination. Makes no difference where the next click is, a program, docs folder, or back to IE. Seems like it is just not closing immediately. This pause never happens except on exiting IE and moving to another task. I have IE 5.1 SP2 installed, all other updates current, Windows 98 SE with SP1. I haven't installed anything new of late, Norton Anti-Virus and Firewall several months ago, but the problem has only been the last week or so.

Thanks

Re: IE5.1 slow to close (IE5.00.3314.2101IC)

Probably time for a disk clean up.
    Tools > Internet Options > Delete temporary files
    Run scandisk and defrag.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but I run MS scandisk and defrag from Task Scheduler every week. In addition, I manually ran McAfee ScanDisk, it found and repaired 3 problems, then ran MS Scandisk Thorough and it found none. Defragged with McAfee Disk Tune even though its diagnostics reported zero % defragmented. Also regularly use, several times a week, McAfee Uninstaller Quick Clean to remove temporary files, shortcut and registry deadends, etc. This to no avail.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    I had this problem. I traced it to a set of USB Smart Card drivers that had not uninstalled fully. This couldn't be the same in your case, could it? Look in Device Manager for incorrectly installed devices (yellow warnings)
    The next place to turn to is IEtoolsInternet OptionsGeneralSettings. What is IE doing each time it visits a page? Temporarily, select Never.
    You might also find out what's running in the background. (MSCONFIG will tell you). If there's anything you weren't aware of try temporarily disabling it.