Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ExpressBrowser

max_m

ExpressBrowser

Edited by KB MacKenzie to add URL tags:
    Check out this browser. It will dramatically change the speed
    you are accessing information online. 10 out of 10.
    http://www.click2.com.au/eb/download.html
    (named ExpressBrowser)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ExpressBrowser

I visited the site and the browser is shareware... free to try, US$14.95 to register.

[img]/w3timages/icons/nuts.gif[/img]It sounds intriguing, but I'm not one to change for things that aren't broken (currently use older NS build). One thing not mentioned in the promo material... it access favorite folder for IE, but will it convert the NS bookmarks.

If anyone does download, please report back: the good, the bad and the ugly. [img]/w3timages/icons/devil.gif[/img]
    Karen

max_m

A really cool Browser. You can set up a group of your most popular sites and they load automatically after you start Express Browser from the system tray. It seems to use less resources - makes you wonder why Microsoft or NS never built some of the features into their browsers. You can edit, create and even download new groups of the internet. You can also set it up to check your email automatically. I

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It came highly recommended to me & I downloaded it & started using it January 5. Then I got a later version.
    At first I was very impressed with it. I used it mainly for this lounge. It has 6 tabs & I set them respectively for:
    MainScreen
    General Office Solutions
    Internet Explorer
    Netscape
    VBA
    Word

The pros: I tend to be very impatient (I think electricity moves too slow)[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] & I can tab to each of 6 sites & get them each loading different posts.

Con: You can do something similar without the tabs by clicking on each link to open in a new window. It's easier to remember where you are in ExpressBrowser, however, because tabs are easier to read than small icons on the taskbar.

The big problem I had with both methods (open in separate windows & ExpressBrowser) was that it seemed to mess up my read icons. Also, it has seemed to me that Netscape opens these forums faster than IE, & I have IE as my default browser. ExpressBrowser uses your default browser.

I'm going to give it another shot, however, & let you know if it's any better.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The current windows version of Opera (5.x) uses MDI and tabs (highly configurable), has a fast rendering engine and does a better job at W3C standards than IE and NS, and is free.

Well, advertising supported. The right side of the toolbar has a banner ad. I've been using it for about three weeks and don't even see the ad anymore.

Only con I have found: Internal eMail program does not support IMAP. While Opera behaves well and will let you use external eMail, say NS Messenger, NS Messenger opens a NS browser window if I then click on a link in a mail.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I registered & started using Express Browser to test it. I gave up. It's too slow...at least on my machine. Netscape works faster & I can right click a link in Netscape & use "Open in new window". Works much faster than EB.

max_m

It has a lot to do with your internet connection dial up speed.
    I must admit that I have a cable modem connection which
    makes pages load realy fast...

You might also want to try and disable the "Load last visited sites on start up" option. This will make EB load much faster. I think youll find this setting under "options".

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, Max. It doesn't help to uncheck this option because I always start by going to this Lounge. I have each of the 6 tabs set for a different forum. I have DSL. I just timed it. It took 1 minute, 44 seconds to load all 6 forums. To me that's slow. What speed do you get?

max_m

My ExpressBrowser is configured to load a group with the following
    6 pages from this site:

1) http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/wwwthreads.pl
    2) http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/post...Cat=&Board=off
    3) http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/post...?Cat=&Board=ie
    4) http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/post...Cat=&Board=net
    5) http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/post...?Cat=&Board=vb
    6) http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/post...Cat=&Board=wrd

I've timed it and the results below:
    it took approx 7 seconds for the page on the first tab to finish fully loading. 11 seconds for all the program tabs to fully load the pages.

Once again.....I

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Once you are in a non dial up, high speed realm, you'll be surprised bandwidth alone is not the answer to page loading.

I have a cabe modem on an older Pentium 75. Pages download almost instantly, but . . . rendering of complex pages with nested tables, etc., can take up to 20 seconds after download to render.

The main index page of the lounge and the indiviual forum pages can be particularly slow (among the slowest low graphics sites that I visit). Sometimes they feel faster on my work computer which has a faster CPU, but a 56k dial up connection.

I don't know if there is a difference in how different browsers handle the connection speed per se. However, there is a huge difference in the rendering speed. In my experience, Opera 5 is the fastest.

On the IRS site this week, pages that took 7 seconds to render in Netscape were virtually instantaneous in Opera. Same CPU, same Internet connection.

I don't think the DSL vs. Cable speeds provides the all of the answers to your different experiences.

ileacy

It would also run Linux very nicely. I had a 486-66 running as a Router and FTP server for 3 years. Only went down once, and that was for a kernel upgrade.

It also ran faster than a PII-300 with NT4 SBS Proxy 2.

max_m

It might take 35 seconds just to load a simple dos prompt with a 75 Pentium. Wouldn

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Max:

Well, I timed Express Browser again. Turns out that I should have run defrag a lot sooner [img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]. My machine is running a lot faster now. EB takes about 12 seconds to load all 6 tabs. However, it does appear to freeze sometimes & doesn't ususally change as fast as Netscape. Oh well, different strokes...

Thanks for the info.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Art:

I've found Opera to be fast also. I think I'm going to install the new one I downloaded & see how it works. The only problem (with the old one), is that when I hover over one of the buttons (like post a reply, next thread, etc.), I see the link but I don't see the screen tip. Maybe it's a setting somewhere.

And I read your post about page rendering. Makes sense to me. However, what appears to me to take the longest is connecting to the site...and that depends on traffic also.

Thanks for your feedback.

ileacy

Art, I agree with your comments.

I have done some testing of Opera as a result of comments in this forum. It is a lean, efficient browser. It definitely would be my browser of choice if I had limited hardware resources. I also found that I could work with the majority of sites, but, not all.

I am however, sticking with IE5.5. The reasons are:
    1)That this is what my clients are using, and
    2)I can expect IE5.5 to work on most sites, and, if not that the site will be fixed (and maybe even IE).

I also did some specific tests on sites using cable and dial modems, and my Cel400 Toshiba notebook and an older P133 system. I also tested rendering by synchronization of a site and viewing off-line. I found that while CPU power does make a difference, available memory makes even more. I also found that be disabling animations, some of the worst sites rendered almost as quickly on old and new hardware.

My [img]/w3timages/icons/2cents.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast