Thread: Admin Rights

Lounger
    Thanks

Admin Rights

<P ID="del"><FONT SIZE=-1>Post deleted by T-Man</FONT>

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Admin Rights

Someone set the systems up initially. If that person is out of the loop, you can buy a hackers kit. Search google for 'Windows 2000 password'.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There's no legitimate way to do so. If you have a corporate rollout and your rights have been locked down, remember that it is done for a reason - a controlled environment is what WIndows NT, 2000 and XP were designed for. "Hacking" the admin password mught be a good way to get a pink slip. Don't jeopardize your employment, play around at home with your own workstation if there's a risk. I speak from experience, having tinkered with an uncontrolled workstation and losing everything, putting me three days behind - I learned two things. Don't mess with the office PC, and appreciate why it should have been locked down to begin with.

Your best bet is to take the issue up with management and make a case for why you need access to install third-party applications. From a technical support perspective, controlled workstations are a very good thing, because if everyone has the same setup, the same problems tend to develop. Maintenance is far easier.

Now, the flip side is when you are working in a technical environment and you need to maintain control over your workstation's environment as well -- help desk, and more often software developers, need this type of access.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Further to Wylly... above, you cannot hack and recover the existing admin pw. You can only establish a new one, so you will be in deep doodoo if you are doing this without "corporate" approval.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to Mark's comments, another reason your Corporate Information Systems have locked your machine up is that they don't want you installing software the company didn't pay for and getting dragged into court on fraud charges by someone like Microsoft. No-one wants that kind of publicity, even though the usual result is rectification and a settlement rather than conviction.

My corp IS folks are that way, but they are very reasonable about installing additional stuff with business justification, management approval and the proper aquisition process.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS