Lounger
    Thanks

The ! in Input Masks (Access 2000)

I understand that the ! entered anywhere in an Input Mask is "supposed" to cause the mask to fill from right to left, instead of the normal left to right. This would be handy for phone number entries where the area code was not needed. However, I've never been able to get it to work. What am I missing?

Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: The ! in Input Masks (Access 2000)

Don't feel bad. Quite frankly, I've never been able to make it work either!
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mike,

The best I've been able to do with this is to place the ? character (several) after the ! and then set the text alignment format properties to right. One seems to be stuck with guessing the correct amount of ?'s to suit the control.

Hope this helps.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Even the input mask wizard, which inserts a bang ahead of the telephone number mask can't make it work, so don't feel bad.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is the way I have gotten the ! to work with phone numbers so that they shift to the right if you don't include the area code.

When you use the wizard, at the end of the phone number you will see two semicolons with nothing between them (;[img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]. I have discovered that putting a zero or a one between them tells the input mask whether to accept the brackets and dashes in the phone number as part of the phone number. With nothing between the two semicolons, the default is zero, which means accept the brackets, etc. However, if you put a one between the semicolons, it ignores the brackets and hypen and shifts the numbers over to the right. That being said, if you want to print the telephone number in a report, it will print without the brackets and the hyphen.