New Lounger
    Thanks

Add a desktop shortcut via an email (Windows 95/Excel)

Can somebody tell me how I could send an email to a collection of users, that would contain a file (exe or bat or whatever) that when double-clicked-on, would add a shortcut to the user's desktop to an excel worksheet. The Excel file would be in a common location that all would access to. It would also be good if it could create the shortcut with a fancy icon at the same time. There must be some VBA code out there that could do this - or is there a better way? Many Thanks for your help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Add a desktop shortcut via an email (Windows 95/Excel)

It is easy. Edit enclosed Visual Basic Script file (it is a sample file from Microsoft) to point it to your XLS file, rename it (it must have VBS extension - get rid of .txt tail) and send it to your users. CAUTION! MS Outlook 2000 SR2 and 2002 settings reject VBS files as attachments to be opened or viewed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

You could create a desktop shortcut locally, drag it into a new Outlook email and send it.
    The recipient simply drags it out of the email onto their own desktop.

Bear in mind - as with kaplinb's warning above - Outlook may block the attachment.

Thanks

With a few changes you could embed this as an AutoOpen macro in a Word doc or Excel sheet, to get around the attachment security.

In particular, you would drop the WScript from the CreateObject method. Other changes would be by trial and error.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks to those that replied - I like the the vbs method as it automatically takes account of where the user's 'desktop' directory is located. (User's are on a network and the desktop folder hangs off their user profile). We are using Lotus Notes mail (oops sorry I swore) and this also stops the sending of vbs. I'll try and workout how to send it via a word macro (or maybe a 'bat' script ??)
    Thanks again for your help.