2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't install Publ'er 2000 after installing OffXP (2000/2002)

I got a new laptop in December w/ Windows XP home edition installed. I installed Office XP on it in December. Yesterday I realized that I needed Publisher installed. I only have the Office 2000 version of publisher and didn't think it would be any problem. During the installation it said that it needed to copy some files from Windows and that I needed to insert my Windows XP PROFESSIONAL CD. I tried all 3 disks that came with my computer, but it rejected all 3 of them. I don't have XP Pro on my machine, I have XP HOME. Anyway the installation bombed and I can't install Publisher. Any ideas?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't install Publ'er 2000 after installing OffXP (2000/2002)

1. Did you point Installer to "i386" folder on your first CD?

2. Do you have Windows XP installation CD, or your vendor's Restore CD? In the last case, it may not contain Windows installation folder (I386) at all, but drive image only. Contact your LAPTOP manufacturer.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

1) On other installations I've been able to point the installer to a directory, but there's no way to do it on this installation. It seems to want to verify something on a CD. Very strange.

2) I have Toshiba's 3 CD installation/rescue disks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

THere's likely two things going on here:

1. When you installed Office XP, there may have been a Windows Componets CD-ROM included. Dependsing on the edition of Office XP, you may need to update some Windoze components. This is necessary for Office XP Developer Edition, and I expect that it is necessary for editions that include Access.

2. Installing a component from an earlier version of Office is not really supported as no two versions of Office can FULLY co-exist in the same bootable system. I'd suggest purchasing the upgrade to Publisher 2002.