Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Binder Pros and Cons? (97/SR-2)

What are the pros and cons of Microsoft Binder? Evidently it's been around for a long time, but never has caught on in a big way? Or are there certain areas (maybe legal) where it is used to a large extent?

Thanks,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft Binder Pros and Cons? (97/SR-2)

We don't use it in Legal -- at least not in New York.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Caroline:
    I haven't used it much. It's chief use, that I could see, is to take a series of finished documents & create a common header/footer & consistent page numbering.

However, keeping the original document & the one in binder (they are both separate files) always seemed to be a hassle.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

We decided to keep our original page number (section-page). Binder could be useful in some circumstances, but we needed to keep version information that was stored in the footers of the original documents. Since different files could have different version information, we couldn't apply one footer across all document files. Still, I've learned about Binder functionality, and appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
    Caroline

New Lounger
    Thanks

Long after the fact.....
    I was given 30 or so documents to put together in one booklet. By importing all of them into binder I could easily switch between them, apply the same header/footer info and just generally simplify my life by dealing with one "document" instead of 30.

You don't have to keep the original documents, once they are put into binder they become part of the binder document.

Cons: Crashes with some frequency, at least once per week, plus the autosave feature does not work in binder.
    The whole seems to be greater than the sum of it's parts (as far as disk space used)
    Can't "unbind" the binder and get the individual documents back (though there is supposed to be some utility that allows one to do this).

On the whole though, I like it. If you are working with related documents, for example a collection of reports or developers' notes, then it might be good to check it out.