New Lounger
    Thanks

Plain Text Password

Can I set Win XP Pro to allow plain text passwords so that it can connect to a Samba 2.0.1 server?

This works in Win95/98/ME - I used regedit to setup HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/VxD/VNETSUP and added a new DWORD EnablePlainTextPassword and set it to 1.

I have tried regedit in Win XP Pro to do the following as advised by people at www.samba.org:
    1st Try:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/lanmanworkstation/parameters
    enableplaintextpassword = 1
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Netlogon/Parameters
    enableplaintextpassword = 1
    2nd Try:
    Click Start, point to Control Panel, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Local Security Policy.
    On the Security Setting folder, click to expand Local Policies, and then double-click Security Options.
    Double-click Microsoft Network:Client: Send unencrypted passwords to connect to third-party SMB servers, and then click the Enabled radio button.

None of these worked. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marc

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Plain Text Password

I can't help you with plain text, but I just set up a samba on a Red Hat server and I followed the Samba How-To to enable encrypted passwords in samba. It worked on the first try connecting to my XP computer, but my Win98 machine can't log in. I guess if you have a mixed network, unencrypted might be the answer, good luck.