New Lounger
    Thanks

User Names and Files

Thanks to many of the posts here, I have XP Home running well--even with a comcast connection and aureal sound! The question I have seems minor: I am a sole user and have an appropriate user name. However, the name given to my user file in "Documents and Settings" is "Owner." I have changed everything I can find everywhere to the name I want. Even the cookies have the right name. But I am still "owner" to that file! What in the registry governs that filename? (I cannot change it through rename.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: User Names and Files

What name is used in your log in account?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

My log in name and user name are the same. One I changed in the control panel, users. The other I changed using control userpasswords2 at the command prompt. I was so sure the second change would take care of that pesky folder. Such a small thing to drive me crazy.

Lounger
    Thanks

Could you elaborate on the path and file extension of the offending 'file'? Each authorized user who logs on to XP establishes a set of folders under Documents and Settings. And what user groups do you have active users in?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have "Myname" (computer administrator) under user accounts. There is also the guest account that is turned off. Whe I look at the accounts from the command line, I have "Myname,' "Administrator," and "Guest"

In Cocuments and Settings" I have folders for "Administrator," "All Users," "Default User," and "Owner." All of my files and settings are in "Owner." I want the filename to be "Myname." Everything works fine with the "Owner" name for the folder--my files and settings go where they are supposed to. I would think that the folder name would match the username.

I probably should get over this or go ahead and create myself again as a new user and delete "Owner." I am just too stubborn.

I have only the administrator group, of which "MyName" is a member, and the guest group.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes, the best way is to make a NEW account and after all folders are made by the system when you log in and open Word, Outlook and etc, then copy the files from the "Owner" subfolders to your new subfolders.

One will find that when changing the account names a warning pops up about the problems one may have if they continue.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Dave. So much for shortcuts (a lesson I should have learned tryng to install XP over 98).