New Lounger
    Thanks

Moving 'My Documents'

Just got a new laptop on which Windows XP is installed. On My Windows 98-SE computers, I use the "C" drive for Windows and applications, and the "D" drive for all user data (My Documents, Temporary Internet Files, Outlook files, etc.). I'd like to continue this model in Windows XP if possible. After searching and trying many things in Windows XP, I cannot seem to move the "My Documents" folder associated with my user profile. Is there a means of doing this? Is it possible to move all of the "Documents and Settings" folder tree off the C drive? Does it make more sense to just use the My Documents under the default Documents and Settings folder on the C drive?

Thanks!

--jim--

Thanks

Re: Moving 'My Documents'

Try:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310147>How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder (Q310147)</A>

I think the general consensus is to leave the default location for "Documents and Settings" as many programs may not be able to follow it if is moved.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with that one. You can customize several of the folder locations via the registry (User Shell Folders) but some are hardwired, so to speak - no good way and no real good reason to move the whole thing.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

I moved "My Documents," the Outlook Express stores, and the Word Templates to drive D and I not aware of any problems. Any time an application gives me the opportunity to specify where to store data, I create a subdirectory under "D:My Program Data" (old DOS programs use D:PROGDATA). This allows me to recover from a disaster by restoring "C" from a ghost image and not loose any of my user data.
    What are the problems that you think might occur? Should I rethink this policy?