4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Decifering the Installation Icons (Office XP 2002)

I also have this problem with software in general and am tempted to post it in slightly diff. form in
    Gen. Windows--but am conscious of not taking up space and time twice. I wasn't sure if I had all
    my Office applications in--meaning Office Tools, so I recently put in the disc. I don't know a lot about
    extensions and I don't know dos. Many applications don't start automatically when I put in the
    disc even though I have tried to enable auto start at E(My CD Drive)>Properties>AutoPlay Tab (Play,
    Open Folder to view files using Win Explorer, Stop)--not sure if this tab applies to applications in
    general. So I go to My Computer and click on E where I am confronted with these icons:
    1) Files 2) AUTORUN.INF 3) INSTIMSIW.EXE 4) OWC10.MSI 5)README.HTM 6)MSDE 2000
    7) INSMSI.EXE 8) OFFICE 1.CAB 9) PRORE.MS 10) SETUP.EXE
    I have gotten Office installed and used it (at some level--I'm on a learning curve) but I don't know
    which of these executables I should run (or all). Setup.exe seems to be always the main player
    in installing software, but what about the other exe's and the Cab file here? This happens
    frequently whether it's a software learning program or any application. The documents without
    .exe and readmes are self explanatory--to an extent. Many times they seem to have dos labels
    in case I guess you wanted to install them from the Command line or possibly tweak them
    at a more advanced level. Should you run all these executables to get a proper/complete
    installation. Where do you go to see what each executable is for? There is no mouseover with
    an explanation and you I don't know what these abbreviations mean. I don't want to miss installing
    components I need. I have noticed with learning software I get the job done--but I don't always
    hit every icon with .exe they have. Should I? Also there is often a .ini file in software installations.
    I have seen statements to the effect that the Registry has grown through different flavors of
    Windows because 3rd party manufacturers are using the Registry to store preferences and settings
    but some still use .ini files. I also see the .ini tabs on the msconfig utility--I don't know the signif.
    of .ini and particularly in setting up an application. Did'nt mean to ask too broad a question for
    this space. Main confusion is several icons with .exe or .ini on them--and no clear directions
    saying "For proper installation click on this one first; i.e. once you click on them you get dialogue
    boxes with "next" buttons but not until you do and there are several of them with many software
    applications.

Thanks

defrag

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Decifering the Installation Icons (Office XP 2002)

To add or remove Office components, click Start | Control Panel | Add and Remove Programs. On the next screen, choose Microsoft Office XP... from the list and click Change button. When Installer starts, choose "Add or Remove Feature" option and follow the wizard. Insert your Installation CD, when prompted.

Since you don't know much about Office structure, you'll better let your Installation CD alone. Microsoft tried to tell you this its usual way - after Office was installed, you can not use AutoRun anymore...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I appreciate your answers. Great help. I am not intending to mess with any installation CD. The main problem
    I am having is that a number of learning programs that you buy--for example a learning program on Win XP
    or Office or the disc from many computer books (a number of the Microsoft Press) or applications in general
    when installed will not always auto run even though I have enabled the CD Play Drive "E Drive" for me by going
    to My Computer>Properties to "Auto Play" discs. So when I go to My Computer and click on the E Drive where
    that program's install info is, I often get an array of .exe icons, including setup, some obvious readmes, a couple
    .ini files. The setup files will often have an icon with a computer logo or gif or whatever the icon is made of
    and another with a "cog" logo--sometimes several. I want to get the program set up correctly and completely.
    That's what I'm trying to do. Often the key icon to install the program will be the one with the computer logo
    that says "setup.exe" and that will install most of if not all the program. But what bothers me is what about those
    other guys?(or icons with .exe extension names). My objective was not to mess with the Office Installation, but
    to get all the components in and if you look at my original post you responded to I named the icons with the
    extension files that were confusing me. At the risk of sounding too much like a newbiew wouldn't it be great if
    you could mouse over all those .exes and other dos names and get an explanation of what they were so you would
    know if you should open them and run them. I usually end up opening all of them and trying to run them.
    Maybe only the executables will actually install but is it mandated that you install everything with an .exe
    extension? There is no little side window that says 1) install setup.exe 2) install whatever.exe
    That's what I was trying to decifer. Please look at the mysterious (to me anyway) file names I named from
    the Office installation.

Thanks for your help

defrag

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Generally, if your CD-ROM will not autoplay a data CD when inserted, the instructions provided by the manufacturer will say to use the Start --> Run --> X:setup.exe or install.exe.
    Christopher Baldrey

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Chris. I try those exe's in the command line and often you still have to go to My Computer and
    the E drive. But what gives me the most confusion are the multiple "installation icons" and often folders with
    still more icons. In the Office installation are I wasn't sure if I had all
    my Office applications in--meaning Office Tools, so I recently put in the disc.So I go to My Computer and click on E where I am confronted with these icons:
    1) Files 2) AUTORUN.INF 3) INSTIMSIW.EXE 4) OWC10.MSI 5)README.HTM 6)MSDE 2000
    7) INSMSI.EXE 8) OFFICE 1.CAB 9) PRORE.MS 10) SETUP.EXE
    I am not sure whether I should click on every one of these or not. The main player often seems to be setup.exe
    and I don't want to miss instlaling files. Is there a reference to decifer these not only in Office but in
    a great deal of other applications--even the learning discs or discs from Microsoft Press for example have more
    than one .exe installation folders or files. There is no explanation as to what they are or wht they do
    or "click 1-8).

defrag

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The only one you're worried about is the SETUP.EXE as I've already explained.
    Christopher Baldrey

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The reason for the 8.3 character filenames has very little to do with running them from a command line. It has to do with the way the CDs are manufactured - the format of the stampted CDs usually has the limitation of 8.3 filenames.

MSDE 2000 is the Microsoft Data Engine - a mini-SQL server. You only need that if you're planning on developing client/server database applications (with Access or ASP).

INSTMSI and INSTMSIW are updates to the Windows installer (the one with the trailing W is for Windows9x and the other is for NT/2000). These are automatically run during the setup process.

Most of the other EXE files are used by Office during the setup process. Office97 was the last version that included goodies on the CD in the Valupak folder. Office 2000 and 2002 include all the available options in the normal setup (except for the MSDE).

Bottom line - Run SETUP.EXE (or Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel) and don't worry about the rest!