4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ghosted toolbar in Word 2002 (Office XP 2002)

When I open up Word, I have a toolbar that is ghosted and refractory to left or rt. click. I know generally
    you can add many toolbars and functions and I am trying to learn as many as I can. If I go to the end
    and hit the arrow for Custom or Merge, this toolbar "lights up." The buttons on the toolbar from a
    mouseover are from left to right 1) Main Document Setup 2) Mail Merge 3)Insert Address Book
    4) Insert Greeting Line 5)Insert Merger Fields 5)Insert Word Field 6) View Merged Data (to name a
    partial list)> Clicking on the arrow at the end and custom will light it up and then I can right click
    on the icons and see a pull down menu. Is this the way to make these toolbar buttons function?
    In other words why are they shown but ghosted when I open Word up as opposed to toolbars that
    you can customize and add on or not see at all? Should they be non-ghosted when I open it up
    and should left clicking them make them work?

Thanks,
    defrag

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ghosted toolbar in Word 2002 (Office XP 2002)

Do you ever use Mail Merge? This is the mail merge toolbar which will only ever be highlighted if you are doing some merging. The reason that the 'main document setup' is highlighted is because that is the first stage of the process. If you don't use mailmerge you can get rid of the whole taskbar by going to view / toolbars/ and unchecking mail merge.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ghosted toolbar in Word 2002 (Office XP 2002)

To build on what Fishgater has said, you may have turned your normal.dot into a main document. If you have no customizations to normal.dot, just close Word, rename it to normal.old, & restart Word. Normal.dot will be rebuilt.

It's possible that you have another global template loading in the startup folder, if the above doesn't solve your problem.

You can open the template itself (not a document based on the template) & click the Mail Merge Helper button. Under Main Document, click the "restore to normal Word document". I've never seen this happen before, but I'd rather go the route of letting Word create a new normal.dot & then copying styles, autotext, toolbars, & macros, if any, through the Organizer.

Cheers,