Thread: Shared C drive

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shared C drive

I got a new computer in the office back in Sept. It was a Dell 1.4ghz machine. The fastest one in the office !
    NOT SO ! It seems to run slower than my old Gateway Pent Pro 200. After examining the system, it seems they shipped it with NTFS instead of FAT32. When I check the properties of the C: drive, I find that it is marked "shared" with a $C. Someone told me not to remove the share or I will not be able to get into the computer. I am on an internal network (peer) and do not need to share the whole drive, just a few folders.
    Does anyone know if I can safely change the "sharing" ?
    Thanks

Thanks

Re: Shared C drive

Hi,
    The C$ share is an administrative share which is (I believe) set by default on NT and 2000 machines to allow admins remote access to your hard drive - the $ sign simply makes the share invisible - i.e. it won't appear in anyone else's network neighbourhood. It should not have any noticeable effect on the speed of your system so I would probably look at other things in your setup first - e.g. are you on the same OS, do you have the same amount of RAM, same speed HDD, same software etc. installed. I have heard of at least one person who said they got a new Dell recently which was much slower than they expected but they were running OfficeXP on Win2k without a lot of RAM and I don't think the PC had been particularly well setup. If you can provide some more details, perhaps someone can suggest a fix.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I doubt that any vendor ships a system with an NTFS C drive.

Sounds like your local administrator set up the network and decided that drive should be shared.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"I doubt that any vendor ships a system with an NTFS C drive", wrong, some are building so they can use the large (60gigs and larger) drives and not need to partition them. Some OEM's want extra to NOT use NTFS.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I performed a clean install of Windows 2000 Professional on a number of systems at work, choosing the NTFS file system at that time... so by default, I'd say no, the vendor most likely DOES NOT ship an NTFS C drive.

As for the sharing... on every machine, the C$ share is present, if file sharing has been enabled, by default (or so I've found). In fact, so is the D$ - Z$ for any other drives / CD-ROMs / DVD-ROMs / etc....
    Christopher Baldrey

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Howard: The computer "really" shipped with Win 2000 and the file system is NTFS. It surprised me that it was NTFS, I thought it would have been FAT32. That was the first problem. Secondly, I plugged in the computer and started playing. No one set up any shares. I have a few folders "shared" for others in the office to have access to, that is all.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rory. Ok on the $C. I am also can sign in as administrator besides my normal sign in. I usually don't however. Since we bought many machines back in September, we had individuals use their own sign in and left the admin for me and one other guy, just in case they screwed things up. To answer your questions:
    Dell 330 1.4ghz
    Operating System: all machines running Win2k
    My RAM: 512mb
    HD:40g
    Office 2000 (no XP here !!)
    Should be a speed demon but seems slower than most all engineering laptops (850mhz) with 512m RAM
    I am open for ideas.
    Thanks, Tim

Thanks

Hi Tim,
    Is that a P4 processor? I have read in various magazines that the P4 is often slower than P3s in 'normal' use - there aren't too many applications that are designed to make use of the abilities of the P4 architecture.
    I have also found that Dell machines, although reliable and great value for money, aren't generally the fastest machines you can buy. It's probably worth checking what speed the HD runs at - it may be 5400rpm rather than 7200. Also check in Device Manager to see if UDMA is enabled on your IDE controller (you may need to check if your disk supports this, but I would imagine it does.) Also check you have the latest drivers for your HD.
    A few general questions:
    You say it's slow - is this true of all functions? Is it fast accessing local resources but slow on networked ones, or just plain slow on everything?
    Have you defragmented your HD recently and is there at least 20% free disk space on your C drive? (I have found that having less than that can slow things down)
    Have you tried clearing out any temp files that are lying around?
    FInally, do you have any applications running that monitor the state of your system - e.g. any of the SystemWorks type suites that enable you to roll your system back to a previous setup - these will inherently slow things down to some degree.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rory. Yes it is a P4. We have laptops (P3's) that seem to run faster. The HD is a SCSI (It is a Dell 330).
    Yes, it is slow at most everything. I have de-fragged a few times, no luck. One thing...it does have 2 NIC cards, one is disabled though. 60 gig hd with most of it free. Temp file at a minimum.Only monitoring is the Dell system. It just seems that my Dell 933 at home runs faster than the one at work.

Thanks

Try:

1] Take out the unused NIC

2] Run taskManager when you are experiencing something comparatively 'slow'. E.g. if it is slow opening Word, does TM show Word as 'Not responding'? Does it show other activity taking precedence when you sort under processes?

3] Check your Error Log for something iffy:
    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management
    System Tools > Event Viewer

4] Right_Click My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Performance Options
    "Optimize performance for" is set to what?