Lounger
    Thanks

IE 6 Upgrade query (Thumbs up or down..)

Originally, many newsletters were critical of IE 5.5 and IE 6. With IE 6, especially for users that didn't upgrade to WinXP. My CDRW USB, scanner, etc are not supported by XP so I'm still using Win 98SE as a result. My system is a Dell 400 PII 128mb 10GB Win 98SE. Usage is primarily Internet with Sprint Wireless DSL, Outlook/Word/Excel 2000, but no power user MP3s, video editing, etc. Its humble specs are still serviceable for my processing needs. Your thoughts on an IE 6 upgrade for my situation.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 6 Upgrade query (Thumbs up or down..)

I was running Windows NT 4.0 when I upgraded to IE6, but the rest of my setup was the same as yours (Dell 400, etc.). I was able to use IE6 for several days without a problem, then, for no apparent reason, pictures no longer displayed in IE. All I had were the crazy picture placeholders with the little red X. When I removed IE6 and went back to IE5.5, all of the images turned back into pictures again. My suggestion would be to stick with IE 5.5, I've not had any problems with that one.

Hope this helps,
    Becky

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 6 Upgrade query (Thumbs up or down..)

Hi
    In short, I would not advise using IE6 with Win9x. It causes a deal of problems in some cases.
    IE6 is fine with NT based code (such as XP and Win 2k) and I have had no lasting problems with it on these platforms.

Rgds