New Lounger
    Thanks

File Types list in Dialogs (2000)

I often open Lotus files and save files in 1-2-3 and Dbase formats. Is there any way I can resequence the list of file types in the File Open and File Save As dialog boxes? I'd like to move these file tops up near the top of the list, beneath the Excel file types. As it stands, I'm forever scrolling through the list of file types to get to the ones I use, and it seems there must be a better way! Alternatively, is there a way to delete some of the list file types? There are many that I never use.

TIA!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Types list in Dialogs (2000)

I don't know if you are familiar with VBA, but there is a way you can write a macro, using the application.getopenfilename command in which you define the filter (with the sequence you want) and the filterindex. Then you go to View >> Toolbars >> Customize and with this dialog box open you select the 'Open File' icon from Excel's commandbar and attach your macro to it. You can then save your workbook in your Personal file and each time you launch Excel, when clicking the open file icon your macro will run. (Simply do the inverse and detach your macro to re-install Excel's original open file).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

As Hans says, put this macro in Personal.xls, then right click on the Open icon and choose Customize, then right-click again and choose Assign macro.

To revert back to Excel's open, again choose Customize but press the Reset button while the Standard toolbar is selected. HTH --Sam<pre>Option Explicit
    Sub Open123()
    Dim varFile As Variant
    varFile = Application.GetOpenFilename _
    ("Excel Files (*.xl?), *.xl?, " & _
    "Lotus 1-2-3 Files (*.wk?), *.wk?, " & _
    "All Files (*.*), *.*", 2)
    If varFile <> False Then
    Application.Workbooks.Open varFile
    End If
    End Sub</pre>

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to both Hans and SammyB

I hadn't thougt of a macro, and am not very familiar with them, but I get the essence of how this works and should be able to extend it to the other file types I regularly use. I trust something similar can be used for the file types list under "File/Save As"?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it is the GetSaveAsFilename method.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

New Lounger
    Thanks

One last thought re the File/Save As: the standard list has several entries for *.wk1 files ( 'WK1,ALL', 'WK1,FMT', and 'WK1'). Does Excel process each of these differently, despite giving them all the same extension? If so, then I expect making up my own list would require precisely the same descriptive text as the standard entries. If that's not the case, and the description doesn't matter, I would wonder why they simply didn's put al of the descriptions on a single entry. Does anyone know if they are indeed handled differently?