Star Lounger
    Thanks

Finding Externally linked cells

Anyone know how to find all cells in a book linked to an external file using VBA. (find all cells with c: or similar works, but only if links are closed and source is C.

I am writing code to colour them green when found so it is easier to review them

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Finding Externally linked cells

Simon

There are utilities which can find external references for you, and delete them if you want. Check this earlier thread, in particular <A HREF="http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=xl&Number=8688&page=&vi ew=&sb=&vc=1#Post8688" target="_blank"> which gave links to utilities.

I don't know if that helps. If that doesn't do what you're after, post back.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How about a search for [ or ]?
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

David,

Fair point- as long as you reviewed any cells found manually.

If the requirement is to find external links because there's messages when the spreadsheet is opened, the potential goes further than just cell formulae. That's where the add-ins I've mentioned are good- they look at anything which can lead to external cell references, not just formulae in cells- eg, graphs, named ranges. I'd never heard of hidden names before, for instance.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.