3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel graph to word and table borders (MS 2000)

I recently took an investment bank test for formatting in word with an imported excel graph and flubbed a couple of things
    Attached Files Attached Files

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel graph to word and table borders (MS 2000)

Don't know about Excel graph -- check the image source not the Chart sheet. I could figure it out...or you could post to the Excel forum.

I <font color=red>DO</font color=red> know how to do the text score (this is on the WPC eval. test I give my clients): [right click] anywhere in the text, [select] Borders & Shading, in the Preview space [deselect] all the borders except underneath and then <font color=red>CRUCIAL</font color=red>, [click] the drop-down arrow to the right of Apply To: and [select] Paragraph.

Good luck on the Excel question --folks?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel graph to word and table borders (MS 2000)

v-
    I was misleading in the underscoring part of the table. I should have drawn the line ONLY under the number - not extending to the left. I understand that paragraph formatting would work if the line extended. How would I apply the border if I wanted only the number underlined?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel graph to word and table borders (MS 2000

1. In excel you need to use the Page Setup (Margins) dialog box. I was taught to make the left and top margins 0", and then it was easier to adjust the right and bottom margins to fit the space in Word. The chart does resize quite a bit. Don't yet worry about the size of the pie or the labels. You have to see if it will go into Word at 100% and fit your column.

The first hundred times, you have to paste it into Word, then use the Format Picture command to reset it to 100% AND see the actual size of the picture. Then you'll know whether to increase or decrease the margins. After a while, you get a sense of what works. And while you must paste the picture in at 100%, there is nothing forbidding you from using the CROP tool to get rid of extra white space around the chart (though hardcore word processors frown on major cropping)

Now you can go back to excel once the margins are correctly set, and force the chart to fill up the space you've created. You need to right-click on the labels and format them to the point size that matches your Word text. And you may decide to resize the pie by clicking once on the edge of the pie and making it smaller or larger (It took me a while to get the hang of resizing pies -- you have to click right on the circle's edge to select it). In general, I do format the labels right after I get the margins right so I can see how much I can change the pie size.

2. As VSwearingen says, use the Paragraph Border, then adjust the indentation of the paragraph by either FORMAT PARAGRAPH or selecting the paragraph (and not the cell) and using the ruler. Word 2000 makes a lot of changes to how TABLES work and caused me to cuss it out while I was learning the differences.

Bonus points: If it's a pie chart made in excel, you can use either term. If it's a column chart or a line graph, you can't say its a pie chart, but you can say Excel chart or graph.

Lastly, I don't recognize the format -- Merrill?? I've worked a number of investment bank centers (Bankers Trust, CSFB, Bear, SocGen, Paine and one or two others) Just curious.

Hope my attachment makes things clearer.
    Attached Files Attached Files