Star Lounger
    Thanks

Converting a table to text (2000)

Hi,

I've "inherited" several sets of labels (totalling several hundred altogether) that were simply typed in (i.e., they did not result from a mail merge). I'd like to convert these labels from their table to text and then back again to a table with a header row (Title, FirstName, LastName, etc.) so as to have a proper data source for mail merges.

I know how to convert tables to text and text to tables when the data is consistent. But, unfortunately, the labels I presently have are not consistent. Some have a job title but others don't; some use two lines for the address while others use only one. Can anyone suggest an efficient method - i.e., with a minimum of "fiddling"?

Thanks very much.

Wyley

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Converting a table to text (2000)

Hi Wyley:
    Difficult to come up with a specific solution. Some generalities.
    1. Find some commonalities & divide them that way. i.e. all the ones with first name, last name & no title, all those with title, all those with middle initial, etc.
    2. Use find/replace to work on each group. At this stage, it might be better to use a macro that will loop through the table, looking for patterns, copying them, & pasting to a new document. Such a macro is beyond my abilities, but someone on the VBA board might be able to help, once you know what you want.

3. Don't look for a perfect solution; it'll take you longer than plunging in, unless this is going to be an ongoing task.

Hope this helps. If you have any specific Find/Replace questions, post back.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Converting a table to text (2000)

Thanks, Phil,

I rather doubted that there would be a perfect solution. Your suggestions are good ones and I'll follow them.

Wyley