Super Moderator
    Thanks

Transfer OL Express msgs and addrss book to OL2000

Hi,

Don't know if this has been covered here already (couldn't find anything via Search):

I've had Windows 98 and Outlook Express on my home PC for a couple of years.
    A few months ago I installed Windows 2000 and Office 2000 (dual boot).

The only reason I haven't migrated completely over to Windows 2000 is: I can't figure out how to get my Address Book and messages that are in Outlook Express, over to Outlook 2000.

(When I ran the OL 2000 setup wizard, it prompted me that it had detected Outlook Express on my computer, and did I want to use the files and settings from this? - I said yes, but realize now that it was detecting the copy of OL Express that was associated with Win 2000, not my configured copy of it that's associated with Win 98 and which sits on another directory.)

I understood that these were stored by Outlook Express as .pab and .pst files (and which I can locate), but there doesn't seem to be anything compatible to this in Outlook 2000, nor can I figure out how to get Outlook 2000 to "point" to these files.

Another option I could try is to use Outlook Express, which is also on Windows 2000, but no success in getting that to see the .pab and .pst files either. (And I'd rather have Outlook 2000 than OL Express.)

Hope the above makes any sense. Is there any hope for accomplishing this or am I up the creek?

TIA,
    Gary

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Transfer OL Express msgs and addrss book to OL2000

pab and pst are outlook's files, not outlook expresses. express uses dbx and wab.

you need the files in the same partition with outlook to export them. can the win2k partition see the other partition? if so, point the win2k OE to the location they are in. (see the tools > options > maintainance tab) once in express in win2k, export from express ot outlook.

if the partitions are hidden from each other, you'll need to copy the files unto media and transfer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks MJ - this was great information.

The two partitions can see each other, and I was able to locate all my original .dbx folders on C, but found that I couldn't get Win2K OE to point successfully via tools>options>maintenance.
    What I did do is to take note of where that dialog wanted to point to as a default location. Then I copied all the .dbx folders from C, and pasted them into what appeared to be the default location on D. Voila! - all my messages are now showing in Win2K OE![img]/w3timages/icons/king.gif[/img]

Getting the address book across is still proving tricky - I located the .wab file on my C drive, and am trying to paste this into the appropriate place on D, etc. - but OE doesn't want to see it. But there doesn't seem to be any option within OE to 'browse' to this. (I have Outlook 98 at work and remember having been able to do so there.)
    So I'll keep hacking around with this for awhile.

And once I get this, think I'll take a good long break and enjoy it for a while before I start worrying about migrating all of this to OL 2000!

Thanks again,
    Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Just by way of update, I've managed to get the Address book working too - if you open the Address book, and go to Tools>Options, you have the option to share the address book data with other applications, or use it only for OE.

By default the share with other apps option is selected.
    I tried changing it to "use only for OE". It prompted me to quit OE and relaunch it. When I did so, there were all my address book entries!

I'll guess from this, that the address book file is accessed from two different locations, depending on which option you choose. I'll worry about getting it working with the 'share' option later; enough for one night...