New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 6.0: Getting Rid of It

I feel sooo silly asking this, but......with all the security mess and IE 6.0 I am wondering (a lot) if it isn't best to just switch to Opera 6.0 or Net Scape as a default browser? Is there some safe way to uninstall Internet Explorer from my system? I am running a machine with Windows 2000 Professional SP-2 installed. As much as I love some of the stuff Microsoft comes out with, there are other times I feel like "Aunty Microsoft" and this is yet another one of those periods. Any sound advise would be greatly appreciated.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 6.0: Getting Rid of It

Yes : don't

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I agree with MerC, do not try and uninstall it.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Article ID: Q293907 This is the MS KB article # for Uninstalling IE6.0 If you google or use any of the
    top search engines you can find a ton of programs to uninstall IE and other Windows components and
    some of them work and some don't. But I think you're over-reacting on this. As the previous posts
    indicate you could have stability problems and most of the other IE versions have the same security
    vulnerabilities or others that are equal in number and degree. You are running a really stable OS
    with time for a lot of 3rd party applications to have gotten in sync with it--Windows 2000.
    Your ambivalence about Microsoft is shared by millions. Microsoft writes more code than any
    other entity. And they are the number #1 target. It seems that they finally are going to
    address these sometimes daily and weekly security vulnerabilities in a major way. They
    appointed a new Czar for Security previously from DOJ. They also imposed a software
    code writing moratorium for about a month to theoretically focus on security. They surely have the technical
    resources if they channel it and it looks like they are. It appears that Bill Gates has finally
    been angered at the perception of Microsoft's security flaws and I would bet on him to
    be able to get a handle on them (maybe this is naieve--as pre-school children learn
    to use computers those adults' ability to exploit security flaws will get better so the secuirty will
    have to get better).
    Why don't you simply try Netscape and enjoy Opera and some of its features and see what you like
    best? Explorer has a lot of compatibility advantages with more third party programs than the other
    two and I believe with more Microsoft applications obviously. And meanwhile get the Microsoft
    Security bulletins and download the patches when they come and if Microsoft doesn't turn
    this around to your liking then go with another browser full time that you like.

defrag

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks...actually I have installed Opera 6.1 and am quite delighted with it, and will just let IE "be". Once I accepted I could just ignore it, I saw the "drama" in my own post. I really appreciate your thoughtful and intelligent reply. For those who have not played with Opera as of yet, I think it's great, so far..... I will be sure to document any problems I encounter.