Star Lounger
    Thanks

open form to selected record (Access 2k)

I have a database that has a form, which has a listing of items, and another form, which has the item details. Both of these forms are generetated-using queries. What I would like to do is when I select a item in the listing form (using the record selector), that the detail form would open to the corresponding detail record. I am using Access 2k.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: open form to selected record (Access 2k)

Use the OnCurrent event of the first form and open the second form something like this:

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmDetails", , , "[KeyID]=" & Me!txtKeyID

This assumes that
    1) the form you're opening is named "frmDetails",
    2) there is a key field in the second form's recordset called "KeyID",
    3) there is a textbox on your first form called txtKeyID that is bound to an underlying field that contains the value you want to pass as a key to the second form, and
    4) that "KeyID" is a numeric key. If it were a string, you would have to make the WhereCondition "[KeyID]= ' " & Me!txtKeyID & " ' "

Does that answer your question?
    Charlotte

Thanks
    I am trying to do what the original post is doing. Charlotte’s solution works. I thought of using the record selector instead of a command button to select the record that the user wants to see the details of by opening a second form.

My problem is that when the first (continuous) form first opens the form’s on current event fires off and displays the details of the first record in the continuous form by using a second form.

Is there a way to suppress or prevent that when the form first opens and only do it when the user clicks on the record selector?
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You want to use the On Click event of the form (not of the Detail section or anything else on the form). This event occurs when the user clicks on the record selector.

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='779185' date='10-Jun-2009 12:08']You want to use the On Click event of the form (not of the Detail section or anything else on the form). This event occurs when the user clicks on the record selector.[/quote]

Ah, the record selector fires off the OnClick event of the form!!! And I was using the OnCurrent event and it seemed to work except for the problem I described above.

Once again, thank you Hans!!!!
    You know it's time to diet when you push away from the table and the table moves.