3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Entering data in cells (Excel2002 (Office XP))

Help!

My spreadsheet has started doing strange things.

Once upon a time, if I typed numbers into a cell and pressed ENTER, the value would be entered and the selection box would move one cell south. Ditto for TAB, only moving east. Yesterday, my spreadsheet exhibited this behaviour perfectly. Today, no. Today, pressing ENTER, TAB or any such beast just enters the data and leaves the selection over the current cell. As I am in the middle of entering 9 tables of data, this is extremely frustrating, as each now takes me twice as many key presses (one to enter, one to move).

I shut down Excel and started it up again, and all new spreadsheets behave properly, it's just this one that doesn't. What have I done, and how can I get it back to normal? I'm off to bed now - it's defeated me - so any help you folk in far flung parts of the world can offer while I sleep will be greatly appreciated once I wake up again!

BTW, I'm new to XP, previously having been a 2000-type. Is whatever this is an XP feature, or have I just been unlucky?

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Entering data in cells (Excel2002 (Office XP))

Hi Stuart,

(using XL2k) Try Tools|Options...|Edit tab and checking the 'Move selection after Enter' box.

HTH,

NJM

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

NickM has your answer. As a note, when entering numbers, you can also press any arrow key without pressing Enter, and Excel knows to treat it as Enter-plus-move-to-appropriate-cell.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Regrettably not.

- Open Excel, it all works as it should. Tools | Options | Edit | Move Selection After Enter is checked.

- Open my spreadsheet. It doesn't work. Enter does not move the selection - check the options, and the option is still checked.

- Open a new spreadsheet without closing mine, and it doesn't work.

- Close the offending spreadsheet, and all the other spreadsheets spring back to life again. No options have changed, and changing them has no effect (except that the second ENTER won't move the selection if you uncheck the box).

I'm at a loss. HELP, please!!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The answer's never what you think it is

Aha! I have the answer, and it's not what you might expect (surprise, surprise)!

I had loaded my spreadsheet with Macros disabled - I was only entering data, not fiddling with the code - and this appears to have caused the problem. Loading it with Macros enabled lets it work as expected.

There is obviously something going on Microsoft security-wise, but why they should make you press two keys to enter data is beyond me. Perhaps someone can explain it?

Anyhow, sorted now, no thanks to Mr Microsoft.

P.S. If Mr Microsoft spend more time looking at his products and less time plugging XP on Frasier (which aired last Friday in the UK), perhaps we wouldn't have so many problems.