mick729

Explorer Error Message

[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]I have Win Me and I have been getting an error message ever since install of it. The error message is: Explorer has caused an error in Kernel32.DLL and will close. Then it freezes and I lose most of my icons on the task bar and it crashes and I have to reboot. I am a beginner and don't know what to do to get this fixed or stop it. So, if anyone can help I would sure appreciate it, but PLEASE make it step by step. I know that's asking a lot but everyone was a beginner once. Thanks, Michele

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Explorer Error Message

The first question is, when does the error occur? On startup? When you try to open a program? Or is it just completely sporadic and unpredictable?

The second question: was this an upgrade from a previous version of Windows? Perhaps 95 or 98/98SE? Or was it a clean install?

The sad part of this is that KERNEL32.DLL is a key component of Windows. It could be caused by a great number of things.

The first step, I believe, would be to make sure that all of your software drivers are current. Most likely to cause problems: the video card. If you don't know how to find out what video card, or any hardware, in the system is, you can do so easily by going to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel and opening the system applet. Click on the device manager tab and you will see a list of items with + signs next to them. Display adapter is the video card.

No quick fix, I'm afraid - but the more information you can provide, the more quickly we can eliminate possibilities.
    -Mark

mick729

[img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img]The error occurs most often after I go on the internet and it happens sporadically, not everytime. And I had Win 98 SE before I upgraded to Win Me. After I go to do what you advised me to do then what. Do I come back with that information, or what. I'm really a novice so please be patient with me. I need all the help I can get. I have tried microsoft with no luck and been told I have to pay. I have gone to Expercity.com and paid with no results also. So I'm throwing myself on the mercy of others in the hopes I can get this problem resolved. Thanks, Michele

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, please come back and post the information you find. At least you're willing to tackle it, eh?

There is a patch from Microsoft that resolves some problems related to networking (which is what your internet connection really is). I don't have the link handy but as soon as I find it I can post it, or I can email it to you - too large to post here.

Try going to the Windows Update Website and clicking on product updates. If there are any critical fixes, select them and download them. Just follow the prompts.

Remember that Windows ME is a brand new operating system - so to speak - and is bound to have its little quirks and weirdnesses.
    -Mark