3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unpartitioning Hard Drives

I have an older system that had the original 8GB hard drive partitioned as four 2GB drives. Now that the os will address larger storage areas, I'd like to unpartition the drive, format it, and reinstall everything. I'm running ME on a Dell 350 mhz PII processor. There is a 2nd hard drive with 45 GB of data that I want to save. I can copy anything I need to to the larger, 2nd drive before formatting and reinstalling if need be.

Please help. This system is really hosed up.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unpartitioning Hard Drives

You can back-up data, unique downloads etc. to your 45Gb HD, but you can't simply port across your OS and then bring it back again. It doesn't matter too much, as you'll need to re-install Windows and apps anyway.
    Using your boot floppy, (you may have to make an adjustment to the BIOS to make sure the FD is the first device looked at) get to a C: prompt and type Fdisk. Choose 'large hard-drive support' and set up a primary DOS partition as C: Then set up an extended dos partition with as many virtual drives as you require.
    I don't think there's any need to format drive C: Windows will do it during installation. Once you've re-installed, format the other partitions from within Windows. Note that the 2nd HD will now have a different drive letter assigned to it. If this HD is already on your system, there will be no need to make sure it is set a slave, with the smaller booting drive set as master.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You look like a perfect candidate to buy PowerQuest's Partition Magic. Looks like it would save you a lot of work.

Al

New Lounger
    Thanks

Why not first consider doing something about ME- Its sort of flaky and since I work in larger systems, I'm more comfortable with 98Se or 2000. 98Se is rock solid. ME leaves much, much to desire and Partition Magic has some bad history with it, I hear. I've only used it on a few notebooks and it was a dog...
    And Partition Magic is by far your best bet- and though I hate to admit it, its the only way to SAFELY pull this off! The company is a pain in the a** and support sucks, but RTM AT LEAST TWICE THEN PROCEED

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

David,

Thank you for the response. I have resolved my problem. I formatted C: and reinstalled ME and left the other drive partitioned. This will work well for me.

Again, thank you for your kind assistance.