New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Express password problem

I'm having trouble getting Outlook Express to remember passwords for mail accounts in Win XP Pro. I have no trouble with this on our older machine running Win 98 SE, and have set up the accounts on the XP machine with the same settings as on the 98 SE machine, yet each time Outlook Express checks for mail it prompts for the password for each account. I have played with the "remember password" check box, and it seems to make no difference how it is set. Is there a setting I am missing?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Express password problem

This is probably of no great help to you, but I have the same problem. I've tried just about every permutation in the DUN settings and in OE, to no avail. I am running the XP computer in the owner mode. I seem to remember that if I established another user in XP and then started OE, that it would start the set up program anew and the connection password would stick. However, you then have to fool around with a variety of other apps to get them to work in the other user mode. So I gave up.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Phil, thanks for the response. I fooled aroung with the the settings for quite a while, and seem to have found a way to make them stick. It's a little weird, but I've come to expect that. Under Mail settings select the account name and click properties. On the Servers tab, under Incoming Mail Server enter the Account Name, click Remember Password to open the text box so you can enter the password. Then deselect the Remember Password box. You should see grayed out black dots in the password space. Then click Apply. Next reselect Remember Password, and click Apply again. Now you can close the dialog. It sounds gooffy as hell, but it worked for me. Now our 3 accounts seek and get their mail, just like they did in Win 95 and 98. Good luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I had to do a three-step procedure, including yours, but all works now.
    First, I did a created a System Restore Point in System Restore before doing anything.
    Second, I followed the fix at http://people.ne.mediaone.net/dbknox/xp/ti...e_passwords.htm
    Third, I did yours.
    I would suggest that anyone trying this do create the Sytem Restore point. Better to be able to revert back to an OE with password problems if necessary.
    Phil