3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Software doesn't work in Win2k

Hi. I've got a laptop from work which I have had to put Win2k on (the previous Win98 crashed all the time), and so far so pretty good. Now the only problem is that kids used to have the Dorling Kindersley Learning Ladder software installed, and it won't run under Win2k. DK assure me that it won't, not no how.

So, I am wondering whether or not I can put Win98 on as an alternative operating system that I could use just for that purpose. Can I do this when Win2k is already on? What effect would it have on the PC (1xHD, 2 x partitions, C=NTFS, D=FAT)? Am I likely to toilet my Win2k installation in the process (remember that it's primarily a work machine, so I'm not *totally* committed to trying to get the software to work).

Can anyone help to give me happy kids again?[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks.

Stuart

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Software doesn't work in Win2k

you can dual boot, but it's better if win2k is the last one installed (in fact, it'll need reinstalled or repaired if you install win98 now)

i'd get the kids a computer of their own [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] they have a way of messing things up accidently [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks

Hi,
    If you have something like PartitionMagic (which comes with BootMagic) you could set up a dual boot system booting from entirely separate partitions - Win98SE won't recognise NTFS so you couldn't install it on your C drive as it is. The Win98 install also won't be able to read any files on your NTFS partition - the FAT one will be readable.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Thanks

Just as an afterthought, I'd check with your IT department first! (I feel obliged to say that as I'm now in the unenviable position of running all our systems at work on the grounds that everyone else knows even less than I do[img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img]) They also might have some software to help!
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

one more thought - there is an app compability utility included with win2k that might allow the app to install/work. whether it'll work right or not, who knows. i'm not at a win2k machine to check, but think it's called apcompat.exe