3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unknown dialog (VBA/MS Excel/97)

Does anybody have experience with the attachment?

It has appeared several times when I am testing a change of code. Everytime I have seen it, The PC locks up and I have to reboot (and lose code changes). It looks like an older version's type of dialog but none of the buttons seem to have any action in XL97.

Thanks in advance, Leigh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unknown dialog (VBA/MS Excel/97)

Trying to remember way back, I think that is the Excel Version 4 macro debugging tool. Are you using the ExecuteExcel4Macro method in your code somewhere?
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Legare

Not to my knowledge... The PC does run concurrently both XL97 and XL2000 but that should not cause the problem. The PC has never had any version before XL97 installed so the dialog can only have surfaced through the MS code that runs XL.

Whilst I have seen it on an earlier PC that also ran XL97, it was upgraded from XL ver 5 to XL97.

Curious. I wonder if any Microsoft people know what is going on and why when the dialog appears, it locks up the system.

Leigh

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

XL97 and 2K support the old Version 4 macros. That is why I asked about using the ExecuteExcel4Macro. That is how you execute an Excel 4 macro from VBA code. I believe that the old de###### is still in there also. If you don't have the ExecuteExcle4Macro method anywhere in your code, then my guess is that either Excel or the workbook is somehow corrupted.
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You might be right about XL file being corrupted because it came up with the message "Unable to quit Excel".

Whilst I have experienced this before (once or twice) I assumed it was a mistake in my VBA code.

Another point, I am in the practice of working on an XL97 project, closing XL97 then opening the project in XL2000 because its compiler reduces the file size much more efficiently than XL97 does.

Could this be part of the problem? (There is no XL2000 specific code added, I only use the Debug | Compile VBAProject command in XL2000.)

Regards, Leigh

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I got this just last week with just XL2000 on my NT computer. Like you, the buttons did nothing; no choice but to crash and burn. If I remember correctly, I was fiddling with application events and it went away when I fixed the code. I'm pretty sure that I just used the task manager to abort Excel. --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried the Recover.exe file posted on MS site and it seems to have done the trick. (Although many changes to VBA code have happened since the problem appeared.)

All it means I suppose, is that if the XL2000 code has the same opportunity to expose this (ancient) dialog box, it will; and like the version before it, be unable to do anything constructive and just freeze.

Leigh

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Can you give us the URL for the Recover.exe download? Thanks! --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would like to give you the MS one but my History gives a link that will not work today although the following is what is showing.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/exc...-us/recover.exe

But, for the good news, I found these other two sites that may assist along the same lines.

http://www.oshvn.net/en/software/microsoft...le_recovery.htm

http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/downloads/tools.htm

HTH, Leigh