Thread: Word Doc Links

New Lounger
    Thanks

Word Doc Links

NT4 / SP6, with Office97,IE5, and FrontPage98

One user has found that when browsing our IntraNet if he clicks on a link to a Word doc now it launches Word and displays the file in the Word application window. Some folks may want it to do that, but we don't. This is the first one thats behaved this way, all the other workstations have displayed the docs within the browser. Very few of the users have FrontPage, and only a couple are using it in the new loadset this person just received.

I've looked at everything I can find in IE and Word settings, can't find anything in TechNet. Methinks this may be a FrontPage setting causing this, but it didn't do this before he got a new workstation with the new loadset that includes SP6 for NT.

I don't use FrontPage, I'm a NotePad fan. I didn't really want to load it just to troubleshoot this issue, but I'm running out of options.

All input is warmly received !

TIA

Thanks

Re: Word Doc Links

Are the users using both IE and Netscape?
    check out if it is different browsers/browser versions.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Catharine,

No, we use IE5 only on all the workstations, and the 'loadset' as we call it is a standard configuration of NT4 with the aforementioned apps, same MSOffice set and SPs with the exceptions of individual users' needs, such as FrontPage and others things.

thanks

Thanks

Well it isn't an FP setting, I'm thinking that SP6 had an effect on how IE handles documents.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks

Methinks you may be right. We jumped from SP3 to 6 and IE 4 to 5.

Also I can't find an "Open Web pages in the Office application that created them" that was suggested by someone who uses FP2K, its apparently not an option available to change in FP98.

We have found registry BrowserFlags values that are supposed to set whether Office docs opens in the 'native' application or displays in the browser. But when I change them they revert back to the previous values after IE is started. *#@&%!

So at this point it appears to be a setting within our loadset's IE configuration, which is pretty much locked down like everything else to changes at our end.

I appreciate the confirmation on FP though, I'm not that familiar with those options (yet).

Thanks

hfindlay

I've got the answer and you won't believe this. It has nothing to do with FrontPage and everything to do with the client system. How to fix in Windows NT:
    In Windows Explorer > View > Options > File Types tab > select Microsoft Word Document > Edit > uncheck Confirm open on download.

You'll have to test whether you need to check/uncheck the box for the desired results.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the input, but that didn't work initially when we tried it early on in this quest. Our NT 'loadset' has certain things 'customized' (fubar'd) by our regional applications group.

One of them is that when you start InterNet Explorer it auto-configures some of NT's settings, one of which is the option to launch Word docs in the browser. No matter what registry setting we change or what option we check or uncheck, either before or after starting IE, it doesn't change the behavior of Word doc links. They always launch Word.

The good news is that the problem IS finally solved, there was a bug in our 'customized' load, and the latest release doesn't have that symptom any more.

This prblm got escalated from one of our sites in Europe along with the one I ran across, and although they don't know exactly what was causing it the fix is to upgrade to the next version of the loadset (our load, not Microsoft's).

It takes one sharp outfit to come up with prblms like this lemme tell ya. If you think Microsoft stuff is bad out of the box you ought to see if after we get thru with it...