New Lounger
    Thanks

Moving Office XP to new computer (10)

We are replacing our primary computer, which has Office XP Pro installed, with one which comes with the Small Business version. I'd like to have Pro on the new machine, and put Small Business on the old one. Small Business has not been activated, so that should not pose a problem, but what is involved with moving Pro to the new machine?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving Office XP to new computer (10)

First, if either version of Office is an OEM version, it is likely that you cannot install the software on a computer other than the original computer on which the version of Office was installed.

If a retail version, you likely will have to call MSFT to get the software moved.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

you are allowed to install Office twice - to your desktop and to a portable, provided both are not used at once. if you have only used one install, you don't need ot call MS and the activation screen will alert you if you do.

If SBS is an OEM (comes with new hardware) you can not install it on any other machine.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have essentially the same problem -- a computer that came with Office XP Small Business, and I'd like to install Office XP Pro. If Office smart enough to allow me to install Office XP Pro without deinstalling Office XP Small Business, or should I deinstall Office XP Small business completely, and then install Office XP Pro?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Ofice XP Pro is a different activation than Office XP Small Business.

However, if Office XP Pro is an upgrade version, I dunno what is involved. Easiest is to call MSFT.