3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word XP Upgrade woes (Office XP, Win 2k Server, Windows XP Pro)

Good evening folks,

How / why does Word XP handle the document template property when opening documents created in past versions of word.?

Have we missed something about upgrading to Office XP. Could we have anticipated this problem ?

Oh for standardisation of templates.

A site has just upgraded the servers, machines & OS, replaced desktop pcs and upgraded to Office XP on Win XP Pro. Roll out was to just over 100 desktops.
    There is a Unix box in the mix as well running financials.
    The upgrade was staged, servers migrated first.
    Upgrade was from NT4 Server, Win 98 and Office 97.

A significant number MS Office Word documents became hellishly slow to open across the network. Often word reportedly timed out according to Task Manager, but eventually the doc opened anyway. The winword process showed as still running despite Task manager Applications reporting differently.

I tracked the problem down to Word XP trying to locate the original template the doc was created with. This was impossible in many cases as either ..
    1 The server machine that the UNC pointed to had long since disappeared.
    2 A USERNAME in theUNC path was long gone

There are thousands of effected documents.

Our solution involved a programmer writing a piece of code that opened the binary file and replaced the offending path reference with "normal" before saving & closing the file again.
    Fortunately the coding only took a short time, a couple hrs to write and test.

The alternative was to go to Tools >> Templates & add-ins and remove the offending path before saving & closing the file.

Before we run the routine over the week end is there something we have missed that will come back and bite us harder.

Regards

Geof

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word XP Upgrade woes (Office XP, Win 2k Server, Windows XP Pro)

Don't know if good evening is warranted geof,

As my firm will be going the XP upgrade path in the third quarter of 2002, and we have a huge number of W95/W97 documents in our system, I'm particularly interested in any 'legacy' problems that I might be in store for.

Where you said that you opened the binary file, are you talking about modifying each and every word template and document?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word XP Upgrade woes (Office XP, Win 2k Server, Windows XP Pro)

Hi
    The short answer is yes for the documents.

The situation was complicated by the fact that the organisation had not centralised the control of their document templates. Typically users copied & modified & relocated templates to suit themselves.

Add to the mix a complete new set and renamed set of servers as well as OS.

In the end I was unable to determine whether the problem is related to the OS upgrade, the Office upgrade, neither or both.

Some documents that had datasources were easy to spot, obviously Word needs the path to the data source.

As a quick & dirty check I would recommend determining the path of document's template for a sample of docs as they are in use and checking if that pathName will alter as part of the upgrade.

We didnt check to see if the problem was only related to those based on templates other than "normal" and if so which normal.

No one has replied to the post expressing any views on our preparation for the upgrade. Consequently I have no idea whether Office XP reacts ay differently to its predecessors when trying to locate the template that the doc was originally based on.

However the code which looped thru all docs and made the modification seemed to do the trick.

I would test by creating some documents in 97 based on test templates located on local as well as network locations. Save the docs to the network . Delete the templates then try & open the docs in Word XP.

In this case the solution has only posed more questions.
    Cheers
    Geof