Lounger
    Thanks

Do not forward, Do not Copy (Outlook 2000)

Anyone know if there is a way to protect a message I send to someone so that they cannot forward it nor copy it? I would suspect it would have to be some sort of code app attached to the message. Could not you write a piece of code so that when viewed but the recipient (or even just highlighted) the forward button would be greyed out?
    I don't know any way to keep the recipient from copying and pasting the message but I do know that some web sites prevent you from copying their content. How they do it I don't know but the windows copy function just doesn't work at those sites. So if a web site can somehow program that couldn't that also be done for a Outlook 2000 message?
    Responders, please address all points and be specific and thorough in your response.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Do not forward, Do not Copy (Outlook 2000)

1) No, you really can't prevent users from copying things. You can confuse some who don't know any better, but you can't stop a determined person.

2) Websites do it with trickery - most block the right click copy function using javascript. But you can save the entire page (it's already in your cache) and get the text from the saved copy's source or turn off js support in the browser.

3) In outlook, you can set the sensitivity level. This prevents editing only though. You can still forward, print etc.. Some services have popped up that use digital IDs to control who can do what with a message - and also to expire it for good. Slipstick.com probably has a list of companies that provide the service, the only one i can recall is disappearing.com.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can disable repy and forward (for the average user anyway). When you're composing the message, go into design mode. Hit the Actions tab. You'll see a number of actions in there that you can modify, including reply and forward.

Thanks

Just curious how that would work. You would send your custom form to the user along with/as part of the message, and if the client on the other end was Outlook 2000 (possibly 98/02 would work also) the recipient's client would honor the action settings in the custom form? Pretty sneaky.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I know this works within our enterprise, with eight sites. Most users are on OL2k, with a small mix of Mac, OL98 and OLXP. We probably tested this for external recipients, but I don't recall the result.