Thread: Rebooting

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rebooting

Just a general question...is it better for a w2k machine to be shut down when not in use? Our machines are on a w2k server network and the users don't seem to want to shut down...ever.

Their machines get hung up and a simple reboot fixes the problem. If they reboot more often would this fix the minor hang ups?

Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rebooting

You've opened an old can of worms: 24x7 run-time or reboot? There's no better or worse. Ideally, you should be able to run a 2000 box for days without rebooting. I tend to leave my NT-based machines up all the time, rebooting only when I am forced to (by a driver install, for example).

If this fixes the problem, it's a workaround - but it would be better to find out what is hanging the machines up. Without knowing any details, my money would be on a hung app or service.
    -Mark

Thanks

This is really a hardware question as opposed to OS question, and there are two views.
    One is that it is better to leave your pc's running 24/7 as the stress on the components at start up.
    The second is that running a pc continuously reduces its life.

I strongly advocate the first.

Rebooting will temporarily cure hang-ups - it won't fix them. I would also recommend running ChkDsk at least once a week which will involve a reboot.

Because some software we use here never properly releases memory it has used (no fault of W2K), some users here habitually do a 'Restart' when they leave in the evening and just log back on in the morning.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif and Mark for your comments. It is exactly what I was looking for.