New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Locate Records Using Form (Access 2000 SR-1)

I have a simple, single-table database. New records are added to the table via import. I have designed a form for adding data to the imported records. My table has an auto-numbering field named ID as the primary key. I have included that field in the form. I can click through the records using the navigation arrows on the status bar just fine. However, I thought I was supposed to be able to enter an ID number in that field on the form and the corresponding record would display. When I try to enter an ID numer, the status bar shows an error message that says this field cannot be edited because it is bound to AutoNumber Field "ID." Short of that (or maybe even better), I would like to type the company name into its field, getting that record to display. If I do that, I am actually changing the company name in the current record, rather than jumping to another record. I've been all over my $80 book and can't get anywhere. I would greatly appreciate help to solve this!

Thanks,
    Kerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Locate Records Using Form (Access 2000 SR-1)

You should be able to perform a search on any field in the form. Click on the desired search field, and select, I believe, Edit, Find Record from the main tool bar or whatever brings up the search dialog box.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I feel like an idiot. I've been struggling with this tip for putting a combo box in the header when this was all I needed in the first place. Cheers.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

NEVER feel like an idiot. If you don't know how to do something, this is the place to come. I've asked what I thought were some pretty inane questions, too, and have always received gracious, plentiful help. Remember that the questions you post are helping other folks with the same problem.