5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't create a report - it crashes (97 SR2)

What are some reasons that Access would freeze and Not Respond when trying to create a report - any report from a database? I think it's something to do with my design. I can run queries, but any report I try to create based one any query crashes... it just hangs and the task manager says it's not responding. What should I look for?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Can't create a report - it crashes (97 SR2)

Can you create a very simple report using the wizard and make it work? If so, it probably has something to do with the design of your report. If not, you may have a corrupt database.
    Also, does the status bar show formatting - press Break to cancel (or something like that)? If so you could have a report detail that is too big for the page, and you have the keep together set - that seems to cause grief in all versions of Access. If none of this seems to help, you can try to pare your DB down to the essentials and attach it to a post (in Zipped form preferrably).
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I can't create any reports at all. Not even a simple one. I performed a compact, repair and restore. No fix. I deleted all extra stuff, and zipped it. I'm attaching it. If anyone can figure this out, I would really appreciate it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok. I opened the database in Access XP (on a different PC). Reports work fine in XP. I can't use the XP version on 97, but doesn't that tell us that the database isn't corrupt? Maybe I need to reinstall Access 97? I think I'll try that. Any other ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I had no trouble using the report wizard in A97 to create a report in your sample database. It sounds like you need to reinstall.
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlotte. I was very worried for awhile that my design was all wrong or that the database was hopelessly corrupt. But, when I got it to work in XP, I figured it was 97. Thanks for confirming that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you running Windows 2000 on the PC you're developing on? I've had all sorts of problems developing and running reports using Access 97 and Access 2000 under Win2K. In my case, the problem seemed to be cause by HP printer drivers. When I changed my default printer to a different device (an Epson, in my case), the problems all vanished.

Simon.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I am running W2K. But, reinstalling Office 97 worked like a charm. Guess something got corrupted. Thanks for the suggestions.