Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

'Freedom Firewall'

My new computer (HP with WinXP) came with something called "Freedom Firewall," which seems to be connected with something that calls itself "Zero Knowledge." I kinda-sorta understand what a firewall is, but I've never heard of this particular marque. Anybody know anything about this software? Is it really an effective firewall, or is it something that's going to make my computing life less enjoyable? Is it some low-grade freebie that the OEM packed onto the HDD to make it look good? Do I need this stuff? I've gotten along fine for about six years without a firewall--why should I need one now? The software keeps popping up every time I restart my computer, asking me to do the setup thing. I don't want to do anything with it till I hear from someone like you guys. Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Freedom Firewall'

Low grade? Dunno. Personally I've never used it. But you may be interested in this link where some readers of Fred Langa's newsletter relate their experiences. Zero Knowledge is the software company that makes Freedom.

Firewalls are more important if you have an "always on" internet connection - DSL, cable, or even at the office. If you're on a dial-up connection it's not as important, since the people that launcyh DDoS attacks and the like prefer a machine with a high speed connection that is always available.

I like ZoneAlarm simply because it alerts me any time some program wants internet access -- and to this day I will not understand why NTBACKUP.EXE, the backup in WinNT/2K/XP wanted to go out to the net.
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Freedom Firewall'

Thanks for that information, especially the link to the LangaList discussion. Very helpful! With this information, I've decided to hold off on starting this or any other firewall. I'm not online enough to warrant it.