2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Address Book Problems (Outlook 2000)

Contact addresses which worked previously keep disappearing. Yet, when accessed differently, they are there.

Creating a message, I type Chris in the To: block of the message form. After a bit, the name Chris and Patricia replaces the Chris. A few weeks ago, this worked just fine and would send to my son. Now, if I attempt to send or if I click on the Chris and Patricia, Outlook reports that the name or distribution list is empty or deleted.

If I go to Contacts, there they are with an appropriate email address. If I click the To: button and scan down, I will find Chris and Patricia, and If I select that, it will work fine.

It is more than this one entry. And the cancer appears to be growing. Anyone know what is happening here?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Address Book Problems (Outlook 2000)

If you're using Outlook in corporate mode, this sounds like a problem with the nickname resolution system. If so, you can't recover it, but you can clear it and start over. To test this, exit and log out of Outlook. Then use Start | find to locate your .nick file. Rename it, then start Outlook and give it a try.

If you don't want to go this whole-hog route you can get a utility from MS that "might" clean up the corruption. Point your browser to http://support.microsoft.com. Once in, do a search for article Q242074.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I am in internet mode but willing to try most anything. I was simply hoping to avoid exporting the contact base, deleting all contacts, and re-importing. thanks for the help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It does seem to have fixed the problem. Thanks again.