New Lounger
    Thanks

Large Message stuck in OutBox (office 2000)

One of my computers in the office has a problem where a 7 meg file was tried to be sent via email. It never did send and now the message is stuck in the outbox. I can't delete it or do anything with it. I get an error like, the spooler has already started... The user can't send anymore emails as this one is waiting to be sent. How do I get rid of this file?

Todd Davis
    Isthmus LLC

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Large Message stuck in OutBox (office 2000)

This is usuallly caused by the size of the sent items folder exceeding the limit. I don't recall what that limit is, sorry. Once the folder reaches that limit the user can continue to get mail and even create mail. They just can't send any item that will put the sent items fold out of bounds. So, if the folder is close, the user might be able to send items with no attachments because there is room for them, but they won't be able to send an item that is too big.

You can test this by deleting old junk that's in there, then trying to send. To get the most bang for your effort, target items with attachments. You might need to exit and log off after doing the clean up. Then log on and see what happens.

As an aside, the users in our office who experience this problem are bad at maintaining their account. We've had a few who actually exceeded the 2GB store limit! While your at their system you might take a look around...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

IF you are not using Exchange, you could try rebuilding your *.pst file - although there are downsides to this.

1. Back up your existing *pst file - with Outlook closed.
    2. Open Outlook and create a new *.pst file.
    3. Drag and drop your non-default folders from the existing *.pst file to the new one.
    4. Close Outlook.
    5. Move (or delete) the existing (shrunken) *.pst file out of its folder.
    6. Re-open Outlook and, when it grumbles, point it to the new *pst file.

The main downside is that you will lose existing customised views - as they will remain in the old *.pst file. Have not had this issue with Exchange - so I can't comment whether it is (also) feasible there.

HTH
    Gre

Thanks

Edit the Connection properties to manual, and close and re-open Outlook. Outlook will not try to automatically send messages in this mode, and hopefully you will then be able to clear the Outbox.
    Attached Images Attached Images