New Lounger
    Thanks

Programs won't close

[img]/w3timages/icons/sick.gif[/img]I normally open Word or Access by double-clicking on a .doc or .mdb file. Since "upgrading" from Win98SE to WinMe, that only works once. If I close the application and try to open another file later nothing happens. I found that after closing these application as usual, they disappear from screen and taskbar . . . but they still linger in task manager. I can start another instance of the program by clicking on the application itself, but as long as it is still in task manager, clicking an affiliated file has no effect. After I close the application in task manager (which generally requires three attempts), I can again open a file in its application by clicking on the file.

Why don't the programs quit entirely? And how can I correct this behavior?
    texttext

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Programs won't close

Forgot to mention in original post - am using Office 2000.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi:

I don't have Windows ME, so I can't be sure. It sounds like you have temp files lying around. Reboot & then search for Files & Folders & type in "~*.*,*.tmp" (without quotes). Delete all the files that you find.

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx, Phil. That seems to have done it. BTW there were about 50 .tmp files, most being zero-length. I was able to get rid of all but 5, those 5 disallowing access because they "might be in use." 4 of those are zero-length, too. Ah, sweet mystery of Microsoft! Anyway, the problem seems solved and I appreciate your help.

Paul S.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I spoke too soon. Apparently, more .tmp files are created every time I launch Access or Word by doubleclicking a file and these applications still linger in Task Manager after closing. This does not happen, BTW, with Excel. If I relaunch the program directly, I can then open a file from the file menu. When I close the program, I now have two copies of it in Task Manager. As long as even one copy is there, I cannot launch by clicking a .doc or .mdb file. Any other ideas?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Paul:

I'm not sure what's happening. Every time you start Word (& probably other office programs, but I'm more familiar with Word), at least one temp file is created. As you edit, autosave, etc. more temp files are created. This is normal. However, if you don't crash, they should be deleted when you close the application. To close all the temp files, you should reboot so none are in use.

I'm not familiar with ME. You might post on that forum to see if there are Windows temp files that are created. In Win 98, an app called mdm.exe would create 2 temp files every time I rebooted. I finally unloaded it & then renamed it to get rid of it.

If Access & Word are leaving temp files every time they shut down, then something is corrupt. You may have to reinstall; I'm not sure. With Word, there might be an add-in that's responsible--check the Word startup folder. I can't help you with Access, but you might post in that forum. Sorry I can't be of more help--maybe someone else can chime in.

New Lounger
    Thanks

A .tmp file from Word or Access would be in the folder where their documents are stored, and the filenames usually contain recognizable parts of the name of the document in use. That's not being left behind. The ~.tmp files I'm finding are in the Windows and WindowsSystem folders and the filenames are meaningless to me. I'll try posting in the OS forum and see if anyone there can help. Thanx.

DougJ

I think the temp files are more of a symptom than the cause. The temp files are still there because the application hasn't finished closing (as evidenced by the running task in TaskMan). That's also why the double-click doesn't work after you close the app the first time. Windows thinks the program is still running and sends the data file to that phantom instance of the program. As far as the operating system is concerned, the double-click *is* working, you just can't see the results.

My guess is that there's some other program runnning that's getting in Word's way, preventing it from closing. If you can figure out what that other app is and get it out of the way, you should be able to get Word to close properly, then the stray temp files and mis-behaving double-click problems will take care of themselves.

I'd start by booting to Safe Mode to see if the problem persists. If not, then its something in your startup. Reboot, then disable (by commenting out or, if you're sure you don't need it anyway, deleting) all your startup stuff in the Startup folder, WIN.INI, and under the HKLM and HLCU hives of the registry. Be sure you get the "Run" *and* the "Run Services" keys. Reboot again in "normal" mode and see if you still have the problem. If not, then start adding back the startup stuff one piece at a time to find the culprit. You may even find that a specific program isn't to blame but that the load order is the culprit.

Good luck!

dcj2

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen this behavior with Word, Excel and Access, and I suspect it's probably there with the rest of the Office 2000 suite. All the 2000 apps seem to be more sensitive to abnormal program ends than earlier versions.

Typically something goes wrong when you close the program. It appears to close, but the process keeps running. If you double click the icon or try to start it form the start menu, you may see an hourglass, but the program never appears. If you open Task Manager and look at the processes, you may see several instances of the application engine running, but you won't be able to end them because they jump around in the list.

With Access, there's an ldb file lurking on the drive to give you a clue that the database didn't completely close out. With Word and Excel, there's usually an odd file in the same folder as the document with a name starting with a tilde (~). Those are the clues left by an abnormal program end.

The only cure I've found is go to Start-->Shutdown and select "close all programs and log on as a different user". That forces all the program processes to close before it logs out of Windows. When you come back in, you can track down and kill the leftover files from the abend, and you're usually back in business...until the next time.
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>>If you open Task Manager and look at the processes, you may see several instances of the application engine running, but you won't be able to end them because they jump around in the list

I had this problem until I realised that Task Manager items can be sorted by any column by clicking on the column header. So, if you click on the "Image Names" column header, the process names will "stay still". It's then possible to select them and End Task.
    HTH [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Silverback

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Normally, that's true. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked for me on these oddball processes.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

We've seen exact problem happen with Word. We then changed the editor in Outlook from Word to Microsoft Outlook Rich Text. Problem did not recur.

Go to Tools, Options, Mail Format, and under Message Format, ensure that Word is NOT your editor; see if it helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] That did it. It looked to be a lengthy process, so I didn't get around to working on it until this weekend, but you were right on target. I had several things loading unnecessarily every time I booted up. The OCR program seems to have been the culprit. Now I start it only when it is (seldom) needed and the office programs are now behaving properly. Stopped a lot of other superfluous garbage from loading at the same time, which speeds up the boot process and leaves more resources available for work that matters. Thanx to DougJ for the suggestions.

DougJ

In hindsight, that makes alot of sense. Most OCR programs I've seen want to shim themselves into your apps to make things "easier" (hah!), so it's not surprising that OCR was the culprit. I'm glad you were able to track it down to a specific cause; sometimes these things a real challenge to isolate. And the speedier resonse is a nice bonus. Good work!