soapytwo

backups and buslinks

Has anyone had any trouble making makeups of your entire drive? I'm not talking about using XP's backup utility.
    I'm talking about using a backup application. I use LinkPro's PowerSync 5.0 to do my backups. It worked great with Win98, but my system is constantly rebooting and will not allow a full backup with XP PRO.

Or, can anyone recommend a backup utility to use with XP to backup my entire hard drive?

thanks! soapy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: backups and buslinks

Consider imaging instead. The difference: image is all your hard drive content in one file (image), that can be created and restored from outside the drive (from floppy, or bootable CD, or so on) and stored on another drive (second hard drive, network drive, rewritable CD...)

For example, <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/">Norton Ghost

soapytwo

But: can I restore just certain files, or do I have to restore the entire image?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

With an image, you're going to get ALL of the previous data back - lock, stock, and barrel. Errors, all bits and bytes. There are a few programs out there that will allow you to explore an image file and extract things from them, the one that comes to mind being WinImage -- check the software and see what type of image files it creates. I believe some programs also allow you to look into the image files they create.
    -Mark

soapytwo

Thanks, but this is not what i want. I do a backup of my entire drive every couple of weeks, and a backup of my data every week. However, I want to be able to restore ONLY certain files, not a full image.

thanks for letting me know about this, because I have been interested in more info.