2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macros and security (XP)

I would like to have a macro that I wrote for myself automatically run when I open a particular XL file without any nags. I have installed Safecert.exe and created a certificate for myself. The problem is, the certificate is not "trusted" and so XL won't let me save it with my file.

Are they telling me that I can't have security set to "high" to protect myself from outside macros *and* allow my own macros to run?

Donald

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macros and security (XP)

Hi Donald

I don't run XP, but a workaround may be to set your Security level to Medium - simply to sign the macro - and then try reopening the file after you've re-set your Security level back to High. HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Running with medium security *will* allow it to run but *with* a nag window.

I am having a real difficult time believing this, but it appears that you can't tell the XP version of XL to watch out for everyone else but let me run my own stuff.

Thanks for the reply.
    Donald

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Solved!

After you create a digital signature, you have to apply it to the macro IN THE VBA WINDOW not in the Excel window. There are "Digital Signature" options on the Tools menu in both windows.

The first time you run after applying the signature, you will get a message that your dig/sig is "not trusted" and you will have the option to "Always trust" that sig. Thereafter, the nag windows won't appear and you can still run with high security.

Donald