Lounger
    Thanks

File Size Word 2000 (Word 2000)

.I have students who are managing to take a homework - that has maybe three pages of text and three graphs in MS Word - and when they save it, it turns into a 4.5MB document. Other students have files that are under 200 kB. What's going on? I know one of the problems can result from "paste"-ing graphs Excel -> Word, rather than "Paste special" as "picture", but that can't be all of it. I've got a 32 page document with about 15 graphs and various other stuff that's only 150kB. Something is massively wrong. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Size Word 2000 (Word 2000)

You get it - Word document includes graphic files in full size on disk despite the visible size on page. Another words, if you include a graph which is BMP file 1 MB in size, your DOC will be 1 MB larger despite will the picture cover full page, half page or small portion of the page.
    Professionals know about it - your 150 kB document probably includes 15 small GIF pictures.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

it is also possible that they have Fast Saves turned on. What Fast Saves does is add information to a file. Instead of resaving the whole file, it adds changes; so if you have a few images, and then you change them, it adds the changes to the existing file, doing this quickly adds to file size. Fast Saves causes file corruption and increases file size rather dramatically. Have your students go to Tools, Options, Save, and make sure that Fast Saves is turned off.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Another thing that can cause the increase in file size is if the picture is 'edited' from Word. For example:

I created a new document based on Normal.dot, and inserted a clip art picture. Then saved and closed the file. The size of the file is 36Kb.

Then I open the file, and right-click on the picture, then click on "Edit Picture". This takes you to an EditPicture window, which appears to be a separate document. Click on Close, save the file and close the file. Size of the file is now 103 Kb.

If I reopen the file, the right-click option now says: Picture Object : Open / Convert. So it seems like once you open a picture object this way in Word, Word changes it to a different type of graphic format (presumably uncompressed).

Gary