Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer Default

When opening Windows Explorer it shows all of the sub folders in my documents folder in the left pain.I would prefer for it to show only the documents folder (collapsed), as are the rest of the folders. (Or better yet, to default to the "My Computer" folder upon opening.) I've tried various settings under "view" in the "folder options" menu but with no luck. Am I missing something? Thanks, Bill

Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer Default

Try:

Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer (Q130510)

I know it says for W98 and NT but it applies to W2K so is probably still valid.

basically, you want to add the /n: switch to the shortcut command line

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, as shown, you can get a lot out of the parmaters for Explorer. The one I use for my desktop shortcut to Explorer is:

%SystemRoot%explorer.exe /e,/root,,/select,c:

This opens Explorer focused on the C: drive

Al

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you both. I'll try some creative editing. In the meantime, I found a command file in the XP Windows folder simply called "explorer." (not the "explorer.exe" file) Creating a shortcut to this file opens the Windows Explorer exactly as I like it.
    Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's very interesting. I've only been using XP for a short time and before that I had little experience with NT or 2000, so I'm seeing a lot I've had no experience with. The file you mentioned has a file suffix of .SCF and I've never seen that one. Somewhere along the line, a whole lot of new file types have popped onto the scene, like .MSI and this one you discovered. I wonder where a guy can go to get the lowdown on all these "new" executables?

Al

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm a bit curous as to what it is that you found. I was going to suggest that if you had a Windows-enhanced keyboard, using the windows key + E to open explorer. It's rooted in My Computer, with the drives expanded underneath - this behavior is different based on how you configure XP though.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark...
    It's very similar to Win+E keystroke but it opens showing the C drive expanded in both left and right frames. I like your keystroke better though. It worked on mine as you had described. I don't know why Win Explorer doesn't open like that when opening from "Programs"/"Accessories"/"Win Explorer". Oh well it doesn't matter now that you've told me about the keystroke. (I've been using the various versions of Windows for over 12 years and still the only keystroke I know is Win+F. I guess I should take the time to learn more of them.)
    Thanks very much.
    Bill

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Al,
    I don't know where to get the lowdown offhand either but will let you know if I do find anything on them. You've probably noticed Mark's message about the keystroke re win explorer. Simple and opens the way I want. You're right about seeing a lot of new stuff with XP and 2M.
    Regards,
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Go to http://microsoft.com/enable/products/keybo....asp?Product=27 and see ALL of the Windows Key short cuts.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Dave.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, you're right. I personally have a shortcut on my desktop for Explorer the way I mentioned but I also use the Win-E key periodically too. What I was commenting on was the file EXPLORER.SCF which I had never heard of and it opens to a different view as well. In addition to the link you pointed out, the Windows keys are probably still somewhere in Help of Windows itself. It's just interesting that there are so many different ways to view one program.

Al

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

A brief addition to the topic, and one that Woody has mentioned in the past... I always find it better to learn a keyboard shortcut or two whenever possible. Every time you have to move your hand to the mouse, hunt for a button or hotspot, and click away, it's useless hand motion. I've even gotten to where I have the address bar on the taskbar and enter the names of EXE files - OUTLOOK, for example - instead of having to click on an icon somewhere.

Al, I wonder where that EXPLORER.SCF came from that you have on your machine - never seen that installed with Windows before, and SCF files are an underappreciated way of scripting commands in Windows.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Even though I have all the folder options set to "show all", "don't hide this...show that", "let me violate the system files", etc.... the SCF extension does not appear in my windows directory. Only the name Explorer. I could only see the SCF extension under DOS. As you suggested, maybe Al could contribute to this as he saw it too. Also I am wondering if this is a difference between XP and XP Pro? I am using XP Pro. So much more to learn... So little time.
    Bill

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, it's because Windows hides certain file extensions from you, even if you select the option to show them. Among them:

.URL - for Favorites, or internet links
    .PIF - for DOS files, these contain the environment settings
    .LNK - Shortcuts that you have scattered about on the desktop and elsewhere

There are others, also. Document scraps, which happen if you drag a highlighted block of text from Word onto your desktoip, are also hidden. If you want to dig through the rgistry manually, search for the string NeverShowExt as described over at the Windows Registry Guide. I believe X-Setup, a third party tweaking utility, will also do this.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Like WebHawk, I have all the "don't hide, show me, etc." settings selected. I'm selfish - I want to be in control! I also am running Win XP Pro. The .SCF file for Explorer is in the Windows folder but when you browse there with Explorer, it DOESN'T show the file extension. It says under File Type that it's a "Windows Command File," (even if you SEARCH like I did). The only way I saw the file extension is because I dragged a shortcut of it to my desktop so I could check its parm properties and the SHORTCUT showed that it's an .SCF file. Even if you look at properties of the original, it doesn't show the extension.

When I originally commented on this thread, I wasn't so much thinking about the hiding of.... although that too is interesting. I just thought it's interesting how many file extensions (types, suffixes) are EXECUTABLE that old timers like me may never have heard of or used before, like .SCF or .MSI and whatever. As soon as I get time, I'm gonna go search on the web for someplace that lists file extensions so I can get up to speed.

Interesting stuff, all.....

Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast