Thread: XP/2000 Sound

New Lounger
    Thanks

XP/2000 Sound

Is there a fix for XP/2000 on seperate sounds.. ie ... all "wavs" are put into one group, doesnt depend on what program... not indepent like in 98 ... any fix or are we just stuck???

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP/2000 Sound

I am trying to understand what it is that you mean by "by program." When a new program is installed that adds or supports sound events, it's up to that program to create the necessary registry entries that appear in the Sounds configuration.

There are several stock Windows events that are there by default, and this roundup changed somewhat with the release of W2K.

If you're wanting to group them under sub-headings, it would require some registry hacking and any potential gain would probably not be worth the risk.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Can you elaborate - what is a 'group'?

New Lounger
    Thanks

ok .. lets say I'm listening to WINAMP and listening Media Player, and talking to someone on a internet voice chat proggy at the same time. in win98 each programs volume level was independently controlled.. you could lower the volume to winamp and media player or even mute them while you were on the "phone" ... but it XP/2000 .. if you turn down 1 they all lower at the same rate or if you mute one you mute all "streams" that are in the same group/catagory of sound.. ie. if you lower/mute the "wavs" you can still have fully blast line ins .. but if you had 2 lineins on the same machine and muted/lowered the volume on one .. of course they all follow suit... my question/problem was if there a fix for this or a 3rd party program???

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh! Now I understand fully. Unfortunately the situation you are describing is a mix of your audio card, its drivers, and the applications in question. Winamp uses the WAV volume control as its volume slider, which also affects any other WAV sounds that are played back. I believe this is true in Win9x as well. The Master volume control is independent of that. CD audio is also independent in every situation I have seen. Since the drivers for WinXP and 98 are quite different, that could also explain a change in behavior.

I agree that it can be annoying at times - but I also don't know of any good way to work around it other than keeping the volume control icon in the taskbar and twiddling it when you need to.
    -Mark