New Lounger
    Thanks

Lotus 1-2-3 97 files (Excel 2002)

I have some pretty basic spreadsheets done in 1-2-3 97. They include some formulas, graphs etc..

All I want to do is convert/open them in Excel 2002.

Can anyone advise me of the best way to do this keeping as much information as possible?

I have tried saving the 1-2-3 files as an older version, but I still lose data and formulas.

There seem to be facilities to convert WordPro files to Word, but haven't found anything as helpful in Excel 2002.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Yours hopefully, a novice in Lotus 1-2-3

Chesney

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lotus 1-2-3 97 files (Excel 2002)

Try "File, Open", and in the resulting dialog click the drop-down box called "Files of Type:", select "Lotus 1-2-3 Files (*.wk?)" and then browse to the Lotus 1-2-3 file and open the file. You may still lose some formatting and graphics, but you shouldn't lose formulas.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the suggestion, but the Lotus 1-2-3 files created in 97 have the file extension *.123 and aren't recognised by Excel 2002.

I can save the 1-2-3 files as a previous version (*wk?), but because it is a lower version I still lose a lot.

If anybody else has tried this and come to the conclusoin that there isn't a good way of doing it other than copy/paste or recreating the files, can you let me know

Thanks, Chesney

Thanks

I am curious, what do you lose? Formatting? Formulas?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks

Some formatting is lost. I lose any print settings, something that printed on 1 page before, now takes 6 for example.

I lose some formulas too. It just looks like the words of the lotus formula, not the results.

I can save the files as Excel files in Lotus, and I get enough info to adapt the Excel file I get so that it works, but I have hundreds of files that need converting, so ideally I need some kind of batch converter.

I don't know whether one exists.

Any suggestions of where to look would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chesney

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Found nothing on *.123 in the MSKB, found nothing on *.xl* file conversion on Lotus site. Found some information that implies that the last MS converter available is for WK4, and that formats do not convert. Found the following commercial site, could not quickly locate price data: http://www.powerlan-usa.com/office_convert...s-to-excel.html

I really didn't think this would be so difficult! Perhaps we can write some Find-&-Replace macros for the formulas that most frequently fail to convert?

[Edit: me not being able to find something on a website should not be construed as said item not existing on said website!]
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for looking. I had about as much luck as you searching for help from Microsoft or Lotus. I'm definitely not any kind of Web searching queen, so thought I'd check with some experts.

I'll check that site out, all efforts much appreciated!

Chesney.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Chesney,

You may want ot look here for XL Visual Basic equivalents for Lotus 123 macros.

John

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Having converted hundreds of complex Lotus files to Excel - My strongest recommendation is you find (or get) the latest Lotus Millenium Edition and then use the Lotus File-SaveAs option to to save it as an Excel 2000 file.
    It is pretty good and is the only way I know of where your Charts will convert. (You will probably have to adjust some chart items).
    There are many things that don't work the same - e.g. if you use DSUMs with multiple criteria, you have to use 'multiplicatve-and' array formulas etc. Also, beware that the Lotus vlookup functions can give wrong results in Excel unless you use the Excel vlookup(xxx,xxxx,xxxx,FALSE) option (thanks microsoft!) - If you use Lotus Millenium edition for the conversion it will generate a file containing cell address and contents which don't convert properly.

regards
    zeddy